Back up and restore on a mac

Barnreuther

I have Express Invoice (v 3.40 Intel) on a mac runnning OS X 10.9.5. The hardrive is having issues so I am trying to move the data to new computer. I was able to "back up" the data to a usb drive, but when I try to restore on the new mac, I just get a spinning wheel. When I open the "force quit" window I see that Express Invoice is "not responding". I only have three customers and about 20 invoices worth of data. I see the data in the back up file on the usb drive but can't restore it to the new machine, which is running an "empty" registered version of Express Invoice v 3.40 Intel.

Sounds like a question for customer support. Maybe they can get you version 3.99? I'm running 3.99 on Mac 10.9.5. If it were me, and I didn't want to upgrade, I'd probably re-input 20 invoices worth of data. Of course, this doesn't give one a lot of confidence for future restoration problems!

I back up my data regularly, but have never had occasion to restore it. Gulp. But I do print out the monthly reports. At least I'll have those if there's an issue and can input any past due customers and go from there.

Teri

Thank you Teri,

I was a bit incensed when I saw they want to charge me for email inquiries about their software not working correctly... It seems the only way to contact them is to prepay for 3x email requests to customer service. Doesn't sound like much of "customer service"... For that $$ amount I may just look around for a better and more dependable alternative. The reinputing of 20 invoices would not be the end of the world, but what if I have to migrate my data to a new computer next year? :)

They're charging for customer support emails? Wow. We bought the gold service when we purchased the program so haven't looked at that for a while.

We started with Inventoria, tried Express Accounts, and have finally landed on Express Invoice. Inventoria had too many problems and Express Accounts was too confusing with not much support in setting it up. I have scoured the internet for some sort of invoicing and inventory software for Macs. This was the only one I could find that was reasonably priced. So we try to make it work. I designed a set of Excel (for Mac) spreadsheets to handle the inventory part. But we would love to find an all-in-one piece of software someday!

We recently did the upgrade to 10.9.5 on our Macs and backed up EI just in case. I'm glad I didn't see your post before doing that - I probably would have chewed my nails down to stubs worrying about whether we could get the info back!

Have you tried the restoration several times?

Teri

from the "contact"page:

"Because of the large number of users world-wide we cannot provide personal technical support for all users of the free version of this program. If you need technical support, please consider buying the premium version of the program or purchase a technical support plan. After you have purchased then use the Contact Technical Support link above to receive prompt assistance from our technical support team."

I then sent an email with the above issue and received this email in return:

"We will answer your email question as quickly as possible. Please note that we always answer customers with paid support contracts on a priority basis.

If you need an answer quickly you should consider purchasing any of our programs now (with support) at https://secure.nch.com.au/cgi-bin/register.exe. If you do purchase your email will automatically be lifted to higher priority if you use the same email when purchasing as you used to submit this request. Purchasing is risk free - you get a 14 day guarantee so you can get your money back if we can't solve your problem."

But you are right, it will probably be answered at some point. I'll post hrer with an update. Thank you for your help Teri!

I discovered some new info regarding the back up issues on a mac...

From the support page: http://www.nchsoftwa...ce/support.html

"Where does Express Invoice store my data?

Express Invoice stores data in the following locations:

• Windows 2000/XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\NCH Software\Express Invoice
  • Windows Vista/7/8: C:\ProgramData\NCH Software\Express Invoice
  • Mac: User/Library/NCH Software/Express Invoice"

Under further investigation, I have found out the correct path is /Users/$USER/Library/Application Support/NCH Software/ExpressInvoice/Shared where $USER is the username. The problem is the "Library" folder under "$USER" is actually a ".Library" folder. This makes all of the Library's content hidden, even to searches which is why I could not find it. I suspect this is the reason the back up and restore scripts do not work.

Actually, the "back up" scripts works, as I have seen the contents of a back up on my USB drive, but the restore command fails every time.

I have since made my files "visible", and then copied all the info over to my new mac, a

nd everything except some of the preferences was there.