Converting "squished" originals to proper widescreen ratio

ad101867

Hi, forum. I'm into fanediting and by now quite comfortable using VP 2.41. I've discovered that the deleted scenes on the special-features disc of a movie I'm reediting are horizontally "squished," and someone else has suggested to me that they're likely anamorphically encoded. Is it possible to use VP to convert to widescreen? If not, does anyone know of a converter that'll do the job?

Thanks,

Andy

Hi Andy

2.41 is an old version of VP which doesn't have the SCALE effect which would allow you to alter the aspect ratio of your clips.

Saving in 16:9 won't "desquish" your video either as the image will simple remain the same but in a 16:9 frame.

You can alter the AR with programs like virtualdub but you might be better off downloading the current version of VP which is 3.74......

http://www.nchsoftwa...opad/index.html

....and paying for it as it seems the export function is disabled in the trial version if you don't do this. (Try it anyway: There are links to 2 versions of 3.74 vpsetup.exe and vppsetup.exe which may be different in this respect.

Better still download one of the earlier trial 3.xx versions which do have the export activated but with limited output formats as well as the SCALE effect.

This is Borate's link to VP 3.04 which may work for you:

http://hevanet.com/h...psetup_3.04.exe

Nat

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Nat. Just so I'm clear: Do you mean I can take the VOB files I ripped from my dvd (I didn't pirate the movie!) and correct the aspect ratio directly in VP3.04? Or do the VOBs themselves first have to be converted to some other format before VP can correct the aspect ratio?

Thanks again.