Inserting a video into the main clip

Sundowner

Just wondered how to insert a clip into the main video? is this possible? I'd like show a smaller video window into the main video?

Not bothered about syncing

Thanks for any pointers and hints

(I'm new on here as you may have guessed :) )

Forgot to mention that I am using v3.36 (how do I get a newer version???)

Assuming you want to insert a picture into a picture (PIP)...

Drag the insert clip to the track above the main clip. Each higher track overlays the track below it, so your insert video will override the main clip video.

Click the insert clip, then on VIDEO EFFECTS in the menu bar. Or click the small, yellow star at the left-bottom corner of the clip.

Click the top-left ADD EFFECTS button and chose the SCALE or CROP effect.

Click and drag the dotted boxes in the preview window or move the sliders at the left to make the image smaller. The main image will be in the background.

When satisfied click APPLY.

The MOTION effect can use KEYFRAMES to plot a trajectory. Click KEYFRAMES in the menu bar to enable it. Keyframes can be applied to many effects.

Read the ? HELP files and experiment.

Latest versions of VP are available at http://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/

Hi

Just to add to Borate's reply, note that using CROP will do what it says, your PIP will be cropped so you will lose some of it, but with CROP you can also drag the result about the frame to position it.

SCALE will retain all the image in your PIP but in version 3.36 the SCALE values are metric for the width or height values (e.g. 50% is entered as 0.5) but a bug prevents you from entering the values per se you have to increment them with the up/down tabs. The preset box lets you scale to some usefull values though (like Quarter Screen). In version 3.74 the values are entered as % .

If you use SCALE you can't drag the result about so you will also need to use POSITION to position the PIP to where you want it.

Nat