Newbie: Multiple Selections From One Clip

caffeine

Newbie here. There's something I can't figure out. I have a clip that I want to take two selections from and stitch them together on a single sequence. Graphically:

+-----( A )--------( B )--------+ Clip

+( A )( B )+ Sequence

Doing A is no problem. The steps are:

1. Bring video into the clip preview.

2. Define the in point and out points.

3. Click the "Place clip on sequence" button to put the selection on the sequence.

And boom, I have something that looks like this:

+( A )+

Here's where I have the problem. Once I click the button to put the selection on the sequence, the button disappears. That is, I can set the in/out points for B, but I can't put B onto the sequence because the button disappears once I click it to put A on the selection.

Why does the button disappear? How can I put two non-contiguous selections of a clip onto the sequence?

Click the clip (top-left) once again. That will restore the green arrow. Then mark your next IN and OUT points.

If you get a message to the effect that the IN point can't be before the OUT point, slide the blue arrow on the timeline to the right of the scrubber (the red line).

Another way to accomplish this is to place the entire clip on the timeline, split the sections that you want and then DELETE|RIPPLE those that you don't.

Experiment.

Hi

This has been brought up before. Once you have selected a section from a clip using the IN/OUT markers followed by the green arrow, you can't make another selection from the same clip except by reloading it from the media list...thats why the green arrow becomes unavailable. presumably VP only rtecords the positions for the markers once and then resets them when another clip is selected. (Even the same clip.)

So..Just select the clip again from the media list when it will reappear in the preview window and the green arrow will also reappear. The IN/OUT markers will remain in their original position (so you could, if you want add the same selection over and over again) you just need now to readjust them for the new selection and click the down arrow again.

Borate's suggestion is the usual way as per old type film.

You could even place the whole clip on the timeline and split it once at the end of the your first selection and then select and drag the left end of the right hand bit along to the right up to the point where your second selection starts. Handles will appear when you hover the mouse over the split and a yellow box will show how far you have shortened the section. Then click and close the gap.

Nat