Problem Add Text VP Ver 3.73 and 3.74

RGone

Hello:

Brand new user here. Not new user of Videopad of versions in the V 2.xx but brand new to a paid for V 3.73 and 3.74.

My issue is that following the old or newer NCH tutorials, I never see the expected results for the Add Text feature. I never seem to be able to actually Add Text.

Because they say that a picture is worth a thousand words and working for years in forums about computers, I find that captures of the problem gives those who might help a better look into the problem. So i have 7 captures that I hope will describe my problem so this ole faht can get out of the ditch.

Thank you,

RGone...

EDIT:

Okay now I am lost some more. I wanted to upload the 7 images that I mentioned above, but this forum does not seem to have UPLOAD feature that I can find. Is the only way to get an image viewed in this forum is to UPLOAD image to an outside hosting site and link the image back into my post??

END EDIT.

UPload and attachments to this forum appear to be disabled.

To create an attachment in your production, click the ADD ATTACHMENT icon.

Compose text in the small white box. (The checkerboard in the clip window will be where the background layer/s show through.)

Click the large "A" to modify text attributes, such as font, size, color, etc.

When satisfied, click APPLY.

The text clip appears in the IMAGES bin at the top-left and on the overlay track - a higher numbered track above the background images or video.

If you need to modify it, simply click the top-left text clip and make changes. They will be reflected on the timeline.

http://hevanet.com/hb/4.jpg

Well I suspected they had upload disabled and is why I asked. That sucks really since I captured all the steps I went thru and then get here and cannot upload. Oh well.

Thank you for taking the time to post sir. However my V 3.73 nor 3.74 will follow along and produce any Text in the Add Text clip in bin nor in Clip Preview window and I have used the "Center" text so it would not be hidden high or low. No Text.

What I see in your link is exactly what I 'expected' to see when using the Add Text feature, but it does not happen. You have Now is the time for all good men and in mine I typed Testing Text Add. It is noticeable in your Clip Preview window what you have typed and also on close examination you can see 'something' in the small image in the Clip Bin. BUT I never see any such thing happen. Nope.

RGone...

Okay I went an uploaded the 7 captures with what I hope is explanatory text within the images so that it can be seen what I am seeing and that although I believe I am doing by instructions...Add Text is n0t working for me.

Thank you,

RGone...

This image so you can see Version of VP I am using. V 3.74

1411011736290106.jpeg

1411011736300119.jpeg

1411011736300113.jpeg

1411011736300101.jpeg

1411011736300118.jpeg

1411011736300111.jpeg

1411011736300104.jpeg

I have gone to three other locations and downloaded VP Ver 3.74 and installed in my Win 7 64 bit operating system and still no luck. I thought perhaps I had installed a corrupted VPsetup exe. But still no luck with Add Text.

What gets me is when I click on the Add Text button, the tutorials lead me to expect the another window to open by itself and allow for adding the text and setting the display time and in that window to click okay and the little image would go into the BIN and then by clicking on the A (tutorials all show a T) but clicking on the A would allow color change, font change, scrolling etc. I NEVER EVER see any Text added at all.

Once I click on Add Text the small image goes direct to the BIN and I have do an "added" step to right click > Properties to put what TEXT I wish to see in that menu and adjust display time and OK and on to the A which I supposed would be a "T" and STILL NO TEXT. I hate the additional step of having to go to small BIN image and right click > Properties to insert my text and adjust display but having to do an additional step could be overlooked I suppose IF any TEXT were ever actually added. Something is wrong. I generally suspect myself...but this is getting to me now.

Thank you.

RGone....

Hi

This should clear up your problem. :)

In version 3.74...

Put your image/video clip onto the timeline.

Click the "Add Text" button on the toolbar.

This will place a blank text image into the media list window and also onto the overlay track. You will also see an empty white box appear under the left hand preview pane. This is the edit box for your text.

Left click this box and it will enlarge with a flashing cursor at the top and you can enter your text. As you type your text it will appear in the preview pane with the currently selected font and the current default text position. It will also appear in the preview image both in the media list and the overlay timeline. Clicking on the "A" button which has appeared at this point will open a properties window for your font where you can change font/colour/size/position/scrolling etc. Any changes will be reflected in corresponding changes to the text in the thumbnails and the preview pane.

Note that if you select to scroll your title , the text, being off screen at the start, may not be present in thumbnails and what is seen in the clip preview screen also, will reflect where the preview cursor is.

Clicking outside the white box will finalize the text into the text thumbnails . (Note: the text behaves like an image.)

You can add the text image as many times as you wish to the timeline/overlay track in the normal way and at any point you choose and adjust it in the same way as any image or video clip.

To edit the text, select (left click) the text image in the media list or the text clip on the timeline. It will preview in the left hand pane. Being text, the white box will open again displaying the text which you can edit. Changing the text will change any duplicate text images added in the timeline.

Note: If you have clicked the media list thumbnail the "A" button will not appear, being replaced with a green down arrow. However to the right of this is a right pointing chevron arrow which, if clicked will open the properties window for the text.

If you have clicked the timeline image the "A" will be shown in the normal place and you can edit the text and access the attributes as before.

Hope this helps.

Nat

Nat,

Yep.

Step 1. as you mentioned: "Put your image/video clip onto the timeline."

That is what RGone is missing when wanting to edit his video.

I am going to have a look at the video Tutor and do a test ... it is always nice to know about various methods.

The video Tutor I seen (Help/Video Tutorials/Adding Text to videos) only mentions adding text to a current video clip.

RGone's fifth image shows text being added in the PROPERTIES|NOTES box. That's for notes that show up only when properties are viewed. It's not for text.

Follow the essentially similar instructions of other posts here and type the text in the #2 box shown in Martyson's image.

If you want to see it full screen, double-click the text clip or click the star in the left-bottom corner of the clip on the timeline, add effects if desired, SAVE (give it a name) and APPLY.

On line video tutorials may not reflect the many changes made to VP since release of 3.0. On line NCH HELP files should. Click the ? question mark at the top-right of the VP window.

Hi

The ? help page in VP 3.74 doesn't actually doesn't give much detail with regards "Adding Text". per se....

Vis...

Text Clips

Create a text clip one of the following ways:

• Select Clip -> Add Text.
  • Click the Add Text tool bar button.
  • Right-click in a clip and select Add Text.

Type in the clip name and the contents of the text then click Add. The attributes of the text (font, size, color, etc.) can then be modified in the clip preview.

RGone.....Check my instructions a couple of posts back....

With reference to you commented images...

Image 1 OK..you have version 3.74

Image 2 Yes..Clicking the Add Text button adds a blank ("preview looking file") to the bin and opens the "Pop Up" No text will appear at this stage as you haven't added any. But you will have the "A". Your image doesn't have the "A" as you have clicked the media list thumbnail ("the preview looking file") which simply previews the text image as an "image" The white text box remains for editing (see my post) but in your image there is no text to edit. The attributes would have in this situation to be accesed from the >> button on the right.

Image 3 No..You do not need to click the text clip. Your text box is already present.It came up in the "Popup". It is the white square below the preview pane between the play button and the green down arrow. That is where you enter your text. (The green arrow is only there as you have clicked the media list thumbnail as though you were going to edit the text.)

Image 4 You only need to click the text clip or the thumbnail when you want to edit your text later after entering it or after placing it on the timeline.

Image 5 Clcking the thumbnail and choosing "Properties" just brings up details of the clip/image. You can't add text here except information notes you may want to make regarding the clip/image like reminders.

Image 6. There is still no text entered. (Note the white box is empty) The text you entered "THIS IS A TEST TEXT CLIP" is simply a note you have entered in image 5 as information about the clip.

Now....read my post through, click the white box and enter your text........ the rest should fall into place. :)

Nat

HI Martyson

"May want to have him get his video on the timeline first (in your last post)."

I agree.... But....You can create a text image and have text without having a clip on the timeline just by clicking the "Add Text" tab. The difference is that VP sees this simply as adding an image..(like a blank".) As such it doesn't post up the "A",... just the green down arrow. Neither does it add the Text image to the overlay track. But once you realise there is the >> button for the attributes...... BTW. The solo text image appears with a black background.

On the other hand , if you add a clip/image to the timeline first then "Add Text", VP puts up the "A", as well as a thumbnail in the media list and a thumbnail on the overlay track at the cursor position.

But I agree with you. RGone's difficulty is that he mistakenly clicked the "Add Text" before adding a clip/image to the timeline, or so it seems from his images and then didn't realise that the white box was for typing his text into. I haven't seen the video tutorial for this but it might be misleading and the help is not much help either in this repect..

Takes time to learn all the ins and outs :)

Nat

Okay there are quite a few more post since I checked this thread. I watched the Nascar Nationwide race and then remembered that the last video editting that I did was on my laptop. I just built a new computer for VidEditting since I have a number of clips of my Dad's funeral a few weeks ago and need to get serious about some editting. No long time render on laptop for me again.

So I purchased VP V 3.73 after using VP V. 3.36 for some time. In an effort to tell myself I was not fully nuts, I opened VP V3.36 on my laptop and ADDED SOME TEXT. Capture is below.

1411020413010110.jpg

You can see that I am not fully newbie on adding text to an image nor does VP V3.36 have to have any clip on the Timeline previous to using the ADD TEXT button. That is how the old and newer Tutorials say it should work. Nothing on timeline that I can see on timeline. And yet they utilize the ADD TEXT button.

By the way in VP V3.36, when you click the ADD TEXT button a menu comes UP immediately in which to enter the text. NOT so in my VP V3.73 or 3.74.

I was off watching the race then to my laptop to test VP V3.36 which works as tutorial illustrates and so I have not captured the image of VP V3.74 where adding an image file to the timeline does NOT then allow for entering of Text since the ADD TEXT menu never appears when I click on ADD TEXT button and it makes no difference if i have a clip on timeline or n0t.

I am becoming very frustrated with NCH. I paid to move from VP V3.36 to VP V3.74 and I am still not comfortable in editting and rendering my Dad's funeral video for the rest of the family since only I did any video'ing.

I spent hours watching Youtube type tutorial videos and then paid my money to move to a Licensed VP and have nothing but trouble so far. It is not the problem of forum goers that work for nothing and pro-offer assistance for free. I do that every day in an overclocking forum and that is why I put up pics in an effort to show what I was seeing. Get toward the same page as it were. But my rope is getting pretty short here.

After seeing all that is written and testing VP V3.36 and not having to have video applied to timeline to use ADD TEXT feature and also having now inserted video onto the time line BEFORE clicking on the ADD TEXT button and n0t geting a popup menu in which to type what text i want...pretty sure I am having a software issue.

I am going to go back up in the thread and REtest again all the various suggestions, which seem mostly to indicate that A newer VP Version MIGHT need a video clip on timeline BEFORE clicking ADD TEXT button, I will ensure that I 'again' have followed those suggestions althought have tried ADD TEXT with video on time line and has not worked to date.

Thank you for pro-offer of assistance to date.

RGone...

"I am going to go back up in the thread and REtest again all the various suggestions, which seem mostly to indicate that A newer VP Version MIGHT need a video clip on timeline BEFORE clicking ADD TEXT button"

I mentioned that just to verify the ADD text was working on youe PC.

As mentioned above ... you can set up text with or without a clip in the timeline.

The Tutor you mentioned and said wdid not work for you prior is working fine.... I watched it and it shows a clip in a the time line .. which you did not use ... do same as the video and all will work ok.

So, all versions of VideoPad are working correctly ... as you will discover.

Hi RGone

Note: You can add text to the timeline without a videoclip already there. It's just that the white text entry window appears but doesn't open up like in the earlier versions and without a clip to trigger the text entry neither does the "A". VP presumably sees it as a blank image. However, you can type your text into the box which will enlarge normally and use the >> button on the right to access the hidden controls with the font/text attributes.

The text can be added to any track and will appear with a black background. There is no need to have any videoclip on the sequence line.

It's just that the controls work slightly differently when the timeline has some clips already present and earlier versions of VP (3.6x) show an expanded text window straight away on clicking the "Add Text" tab but no "A" until the text is dragged to the timeline or unless the timeline already has an image there. (confusing isn't it?) :mellow:

But it works! :)

Nat

Okay I have managed to ADD TEXT. What it is, outlined below.

"martyson" I knew that your capture in post #4 was where the issue was occurring

as far as I could tell. I never got an opportunity to ADD TEXT to the supposed

DropDown since it never appeared and HAS NOT done so until now.

But I got ADD TEXT to work. The descrlption of how I got ADD TEXT to work

without the Add Text menu dropdown ever appearing is shown in the images linked

below.

1411020522510110.jpeg

How I finally got ADD TEXT to work for "me".

1411020522510106.jpeg

I am seldom one to just give up. The problem to me is that the tutorials all indicate

that no matter what, when you click on ADD TEXT button, there 'should be' a

dropdown/popup location in which to type your text. That did not and has not

occurred yet for me.

What accomplished me getting VP V.3.74 to a work around was your image you

uploaded. I could see the HELLO in that tiny little box I outlined in my uploaded

image. I clicked in that tiny box and it gave me the tiniest of dropdown to type into.

Not a dropdown that went from side to side of the Preview window as shown in

your uploaded image.

But if I click in that tiniest of boxes...then I can type text into a teeny-tiny dropdown

and I have text. Like the tutorial? Heck no. Ticks me off? Well surely. Spent hours

viewing NCH tutorials to find they were useless as my VP V3.74 actually works since

it never gives me a pretty good size area in which to type my text.

What I am grateful for is that Image you posted in post #4, sir "martyson".

Thank you all.

RGone...

5.jpg

If it does not work as described in the image, then it's possible that it's a system specific issue. A video driver update sometimes helps solve odd problems.

If there's nothing on the timeline, the text clip will be inserted at the head of video track 1.

If there IS something on the timeline, you should be prompted - if you have not chosen a default action in options settings.

5.jpg

If it does not work as described in the image, then it's possible that it's a system specific issue. A video driver update sometimes helps solve odd problems. << Thanks "borate", I have even changed out the video card and of course it has latest ATI drivers for it. I think the key to the entire situation as regards my issue/problem is, that per multiple tutorials, I was left believing that a menu would "appear" to insert the text into. THIS miscommunication left me trying to locate where in the heck to put the TEXT I wanted inserted. Even the actual NCH Add Text tutorial for the "later" VP versions, was mis-leading me. That really put a kink in my panties. "martyson's" uploaded pic was my first clue and the thing that got me on the road to a (in my mind) workaround for adding text since the tutorials had me chasing ghosts. Also the saying by some that there 'must be' something on the timeline in order to insert text (not so) had me testing something else that was not necessary.

If there's nothing on the timeline, the text clip will be inserted at the head of video track 1.

If there IS something on the timeline, you should be prompted - if you have not chosen a default action in options settings. Thanks man for cleaning up the rest of the details for clarity. I had pretty much determined what you say about the placement of the Add Text in the actual viewed video clip...but it is nice to have my thoughts verified. Thank you, kind sir.

Thanks are handed to all that have offered a hand of help. Even over the course of a weekend. I have to discern how the brightness/contrast is to be added to only one portion of a clip and how to utilize "manage camera jitter" but I believe that I should start another thread for that so that this thread remains a "how to add text" thread alone. Makes search of a forum easier and more handy.

Again thanks to all,

RGone...