Editing files

Dragon

Hello,

This is a really stupid question but I am having probles with the free version, downloaded just a few days ago.

I am trying to edit old cassette tapes. I load the file to Wavepad and using the fantastic curser, select the exact spot I want the edit to start. I thought I could just mark the end point of the edit and cut it out, but that does not seem to be the case, so I try to drag the curser to select a section. The curser jumps away from my required edit point. What am I doing wrong? I have looked at the tuturial video but it doesn't seem to help.

I find it crucial to zoom in as much as necessary to ensure that the cursor is where I want it. Drag the cursor to where you want to end the edit.

The section you have selected will be highlighted. Now use the I< and >I transport buttons to jump between start and end of selection to make sure you have them exactly where you want.

To move the start or end points, hover the cursor over the start or end until the cursor turns to a double-headed arrow, and drag to reposition. I follow this procedure for most editing such as fades.

To remove the selection I use the Delete button.

I have noticed the same issue as (I believe) you are reporting; it isn't always accurate - hence I always zoom in and toggle to start and end of selection as I've described.

If you are just trying to trim the start, place the cursor where you want. Select the Edit menu, choose "Trim Start' from the Trim dropdown which will delete everything before the cursor.

Hi Vapors and Dragon

I use a really cool option in Wave Pad to pin point exactly where you want

to mark your first and second positions

It is in the edit tab

Play your audio file, zoom in as big as you would like (with the + and -)

at the bottom right and start and stop the playback with your space bar

Then position the red line cursor with the arrow buttons, it will play forward or

backward or just manually mark your red line cursor.

Finally, just stop where you want your first position is to be

-edit tab-

'Mark First Position'

find your next edit point

-edit tab-

'Mark Second Position'

Perform edit options of your choices and enjoy !

Hope this helps, some, I'm always learning

with Wave Pad too, the favorite program I choose

to edit my ol' tape cassettes.

Have Fun !

---audio enhancer---

2014-11-01

Thanks for the help, I will try your suggestions. Yesterday I spent a couple of hours editing old radio programmes we recorded 10 years ago which will be transferred to an SD card to be played in a car. With a lot of trial and error I managed to cut out the unwanted parts, the undo function is very useful! My next issue is a recording with one channel at a lower volume than the other, I need to raise the level on one but not the other, I think I will need to split the file into seperate channels.

I am now getting the hang of editing and have transferred a few files to a USB stick. I was mistaken when I said a recording was unbalanced. The problem is that one 'side' of the album as recorded at a much lower volume than the other. I will try selecting that part and amplifying it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Alex Chapman

You can in fact split a stereo track into its channels with WavePad. Use Split > 'Split file into its component channels'. You can then adjust the levels of the separate tracks, and join them back together by selecting the file you want as the left channel and using Join > 'Join as left channel to' > and then selecting the file to use as the right channel.