Insert clip without splitting existing clips

jacksonmacd

Suppose I have a sequence with some existing clips, and I want to add a new clip between (say) existing clips #3 and 4. I know that I position the cursor near the end of #3 then "PLACE ON SEQUENCE AT CURSOR", but that always seems to split either #3 or #4, resulting in an extra clip of 1 or 2 frames. How do I place it exactly between #3 and 4 without splitting the existing clips?

On the time line, click the later of the two clips, hold down the mouse button and drag slightly to the right, which will move it and all clips that follow on that sequence line.

Insert your new clip at the end of the earlier clip.

Right-click the open area and CLOSE GAP.

Tried that, but dragging would not open a gap. However, there is an orange "helper" outline that appears when attempting to drag. Its the same outline as appears when dragging from the media window to the timeline. Bonus: the orange outline "snaps" to the clip boundaries, which is exactly what is necessary to avoid creating "sliver" clips. Lesson learned: avoid using the green down arrow or the menu commands. Dragging the clips is the way to go!

Hi

"... I know that I position the cursor near the end of #3 then "PLACE ON SEQUENCE AT CURSOR", but that always seems to split either #3 or #4, resulting in an extra clip of 1 or 2 frames"

That's because you are placing the cursor "near" the end of a clip. The cursor won't "jump" automatically to a join between clips and consequently this results in a splt and insertion which can be a few frames out.

What you should do is...

With your two (or more) clips on the timeline, grab your new clip from the media list and drag it down to the timeline (don't release it). Now as you drag it right or left along the timeline the end of the yellow clip delineation box will "Lock onto" any join between clips it passes over. Release your new clip at the point (the join) you require. The clip will neatly insert itself between the clips in question. No gap is created unless you decide to delete the inserted clip afterwards.

Nat