VideoPad ver 3.73 update

martyson

I purchased VP ver 3.58 8-7-14

I updated to ver 3.70 on 9-28-14 (free)

Now I see in this forum mention of ver 3.73 .

So I went to get current version (check for updates using my "key" for ver 3.58).

Then I get a purchase screen.

Does that sound right ?

This in only my second month with my current purchase?

Borate,

Thanks for helping.

The first item says:

• Does my software license expire?

The Serial Number purchased must be activated within 12 months. The codes generated from this activation will only work on the software version released at the time of activation.

NCH Software does not keep old versions of our programs and cannot provide you with an old purchase.

Please ensure you read all the information provided to you during your online transaction.

But my question is ... can I get incremental versions free 2 months after my initial purchase (per my first post)?

At $50 every 2 months to keep updated software ($300/year) does not look good to me.

Hi

"...can I get incremental versions free 2 months after my initial purchase (per my first post)?

The details supplied under the FAQ point 1 would suggest not. :( .

Version 3.73 is a BETA version so I presume noone will want to pay for it until any bugs are ironed out. Particularly as the export section is non functional for any option as it stands.

Nat

Nat,

"Version 3.73 is a BETA version"

Where does it show which version is a Beta version?

Also, I will put up screenshots.

One shows an update is available. I have no idea which version it is.

The other shows a policy of free updates for at least 3 months.

What do you think?

VP-newver-1_zps102d1738.jpg

VP-newver-2_zpsa251be7a.jpg

Downloadable "trials" consistently seem to be marked as BETA versions, as contrasted with copies purchased either at retail or online.

Until recently these trials could export to any listed format until 30 days had expired, then there was a provision for continued free but crippled export usage.

That policy appears to have changed. When a 3.7x trial was last tested, NO export options were enabled, as Nat notes. They all function in the licensed versions, including 3.73 BETA.

Substantiating this behavior, the NCH download page no longer mentions a "free" version, as it did in the past.

My observational "take" on this is that one can test the basic features via a download of the trial version, but purchase is required for full functionality.

Once purchase is made, the license key applies to but a few updates before an upgrade payment is required. http://www.nch.com.a...rade/index.html

Feature changes may be few and incremental until a substantial time period of time has passed, so an upgrade may not be warranted, even though running the very latest is always a temptation.

After downloading an update, double-click the file to see the version number. If it's one that you already have, tic the "do not agree" box, then exit.

Borate,

My confusion is, when does upgrade pricing happen .. when you have to pay again ?

When you would go from "Licensed" to not licensed product?

I know if I have my currenty purchased product for more than 3 months I may have to pay for a new product.

But what is that new product?

For example.

Versions history

Are these considered updates or new products?

Don't know the answer to that, but whatever version you have paid for will continue to function indefinitely.

Later, IF you want to license the then latest version, you may be required to purchase an upgrade, because your validation key won't be accepted.

Interesting though, that your purchase was on 8/7 - still within the three-month license period you quoted - so one would think that your key should still be good??

You may have to contact the company directly with your concern. Check out http://www.nch.com.au/support/reg.html.

Problems when moving or updating license...

"This means the Registration Code you have is older than the product you are trying to enter it into. Our program versions are updated regularly and your serial number purchased is valid for the version available for download at that time, and new releases for 3 months after. We suggest rolling back to your previous version via your backup. Anything outside this time frame requires an upgrade - see www.nch.com.au/upgrade."

Borate,

Thanks for the additional information.

I got ver 3.73 now.

1. Prior, when I seen an updated version was available.

2. I was then taken to a VideoPad Video Editor Versions screen (screenshot).

3. I clicked on the link to to enter my Key and check for upgrade pricing.

4. Then I got the screen to enter my product and Reg key (screenshot).

5. Which then took me to a Purchase screen (and discount pricing).

6. The price was about $49.

I thought it would be $FREE because I had a current 2 month old Key (recent purchase).

Thus the questions on the forum here.

So, based on feedback in the forum I.

1. Prior, when I seen an updated version was available.

2. I was then taken to a VideoPad Video Editor Versions screen (screenshot).

3. This time I did not click on the link to enter a Key.

4, Instead, I clicked on the "Red Windows button" on that screen.

5. Got the download of "unknown" version.

6. Ran the setup exe.

7. Now I have Licensed version 3.73 (Exporting is available).

Now, I assume this is my new license version (3.73) just like my original purchase of version 3.58

Is that true?

Download-button_zps5d70fcd2.jpg

Key-entry-screen_zps6d4425ff.jpg

" One day, it may not accept your key."

BTW, just for information, I did not have to enter my Key to download the file or install the current update.

I downloaded the setup file, ran it and it automatically upgraded me to v3.73 without have to enter my key.

Baybe somebody who has updated their software version, like I have done, will be able to verify how it all works.

If my original purchase and downloaded updates are all included in my current updated licensed product?

" One day, it may not accept your key."

BTW, just for information, I did not have to enter my Key to download the file or install the current update.

I downloaded the setup file, ran it and it automatically upgraded me to v3.73 without have to enter my key.

Maybe somebody who has updated their software version, like I have done, will be able to verify how it all works.

If my original purchase and downloaded updates are all included in my current updated licensed product?

No, entering the key shouldn't be needed - at least until the three-month "free upgrade" period allegedly expires.

Then, according to the FAQ, payment for a new key will be required in order to update further.

I have seen this scenario play out with other NCH products.

Borate,

Ok,

Thanks for confirming.

I purchased Debut and VideoPad at the same time .......... Bundle for $100

I cannot imagine paying $100 every 90 days ($400/year) for product fixes for the current version.

Initially I thought when a new version came out ... like going from version 3 to 4 .. then pay again would be the norm.

Hi

Hope it stays OK. :)

"Version 3.73 is a BETA version"

Where does it show which version is a Beta version?"

Extreme top right of the screen in small letters.

As yours is a paid for licenced version it may not appear now, and, as you say exporting is activated.

Nat

Nat,

Ok,

I checked the upper right .. sure enough it is Beta.

The HELP / About only says ver 3.73 licensed.

It sure is hard learning how all this works!

So, I guess I am officially a Beta tester now .........

How do you learn when it goes Out Of Beta to Normal released version?

I also noticed Utube export is still inop but they already know about that it is not working .... because they tested previous versions I am sure.

Vp-Help-Beta_zpsdb700aa5.jpg