Adding new clips to Video Pad : Need Help

schicco

What VideoPad does is after I add a clip it greys out the Add clip command and button, so when I choose a new input and output point, I can't Add that new clip - even drag and drop does not work to Add anything from the preview to the storyboard. What I'm forced to do is reselect the original file so it appears fresh in my preview window, then I have to hunt through an hour of video to find the area of the file I left off and only then can I designate a new input output point so the Add button is active again.

I imagine there must be a way to clear/reset the input:output points so the Add clip button refreshes and comes back ready for your next clip selection - but the only way to clear/reset those input:output points that I can find is to reload the original video file all over again into the preview window.

Hi

I am assuming that what you refer to as the "Add clip" command is the green down arrow under the clip preview pane (left pane).

If this is so then yes, you are correct....Once you have selected a section in the preview pane by setting the IN/OUT markers, you can place it onto the sequence line by clicking the Green down arrow, Then, as you have found, the Green down arrow becomes inactive (or disappears in V3.72) and you must reselect the clip again from the media list window to get the Green arrow back when you can reuse the IN/OUT markers once more to select and add a further section of the clip, (or even the same section.)

Although you may find this a bit annoying, it because you are editing from within the preview pane and I have a feeling (probably incorrect) that VP stores each selection you make as a separate reference to the clip,(start value and end value) so the clip has to be reselected each time a new selection is made,

However, on the plus side you may have noticed that the IN/OUT markers do remain in the same position when the clip is reselected from the media list. This should make it easier to carry on from where you left off. (Don't move the markers again before you reselect the clip as you will be editing the newly added section on the timeline) You do mention a need to "reset" the markers but where would you want to be reset to?

Nat

Try this...

ADD FILE, which will then appear under the VIDEO tab in the media area.

Drag the preview window scrubber (the red line that moves to the right as the video plays) to the desired IN point and click the MARK IN red, right-facing arrow. It's the one that's to the right of the "current/in/out" timing area.

Drag the scrubber to your out point and click the MARK OUT blue, left-facing arrow.

Click the green downward-facing arrow. Edited clip appears on the timeline.

Click on the original clip in the media area. Don't skip this step. The IN/OUT of the last clip you worked on will be defined by the selected area (not darkened) in the preview window.

To cut out another portion of this clip...

Move the scrubber to the new IN point.

Move the blue arrow, under the preview window (that marked the end of the prior clip that you cut out) to the right, so that it is past the point that will be your new OUT point.

Click the MARK IN button.

Move the scrubber to the new out point.

Click the MARK OUT button.

Click the green arrow to add this to the sequence.

(If you get a warning that the IN can't be before the out or the OUT can't be before the in mark, remember that your new IN/OUT marks must be set within the selected area, between the red and blue arrows.)

An interesting variation, if you want to make each clip a separate item in the media area, is to first follow the above procedure...

After marking an IN/OUT, as described above, move the scrubber to anywhere within the selected area. Note that the green SPLIT button, to the right of the green arrow, lights up.

Click on it and the clip portion that you have marked will appear as a new clip, incremented by number, in the media area - for dragging to the timeline.