Adding Video Files from DVDs

Robert Henry Durrett

I am new to VideoPad, new to this forum, and am a neophyte in the world of video making. Please allow for this.

I am tasked with making video DVDs for my church. A few of the files needed are on existing DVDs and I need to add those files to the sequence. [Most of the needed files are on .mov files already on my PC and I already know how to add them to the sequence.] There is no discussion of downloading from DVDs in the VideoPad help files. Perhaps there is a way to create video files on my computer from the DVDs? How?

Any suggestions for how to do this would be much appreciated. Do I need to purchase new software? I use Windows 7.

This is my first time to try to do this.

Bob

I just found the following information from Microsoft by doing a Google search: Incidentally, the DVDs I am concerned with are "Home DVDs"

"Copy/Paste the VIDEO_TS folder from the DVD to a new folder on the PC." [This is using Windows Explorer in Windows 7].

I have not tried this yet since the DVDs in question are at my church. I will get them later and try it.

PLEASE IGNORE MY TYPOS.

Hi

Put the DVD in the drive slot on the PC and right click the CD drive icon.

If the DVD starts to play, stop and close the player and right click the drive icon again.

Now select to "Explore" the contents of the DVD from the menu that appears.

You should see an AUDIO_TS folder and a VIDEO_TS folder.

Double left click the VIDEO_TS folder. Inside you will find, (among others) one or more VTS_xx_x.VOB files.

You can drag and drop these VOB files directly into the Videopad media list window, or drag and drop them to a folder on your PC first and add them to the media list in the normal way.

Nat

Thanks, Borate and Nationalsolo.

The DVDs I need to copy are DVDs I made myself some time ago, but I did not keep copies for myself. The church maintains a collection of the DVDs "for the record." Each DVD is a recording [which I made using my Sony Handicam DCR-SX5 video camera (which become .mov files on my PC)] of the entire church service for one day. For some reason, the files I used to make a few of the DVDs are no longer on my PC.The rest are still there as .mov files, which include both video and audio. Note that Sony offers PC software called "Play Memories" and that is what I used to create the DVDs from my .mov files.

The camcorder records both the visual and the sound. What I am tasked with doing now is to strip out the solos, duets, and choir performances [both images and sound] and put six months worth on a single new DVD.

This makes me wonder about the AUDIO_TS files. Do the VIDEO_TS files include the audio???? If not, I wonder whether or not I am going to have to add the video and audio tracks to my sequence seperately and then somehow synchronize them in the sequence to make sure the sounds line up with the mouth motions?

Any information you care to offer on this would be much appreciated.

Bob

Hi

The VOB file(s).contained in the VIDEO_TS folder also have the attached sound tracks. The AUDIO_TS folder, despite its name, is usually empty as the protocol for creating the DVD does not use it (although it continues to be created,)

As Borate suggests, test the VOB files out. It won't cause any problems. Use the procedure I mentioned above.

Nat

It worked! I successfully copied VTS_01_1 to a folder on my PC and then added this file to my sequence! I am now a Guru! :-)

When I tried to play the file using Windows Media Player, I got an error message saying the extension was not recognized, but it asked whether or not I wanted to "play it anyway." I clicked on the "yes" button and it played.

Thanks again for the help.

Bob