Timeline display option and frame by frame movement

HarryG

Hi,

I'm finally getting a hang of VideoPad, but i have a few queries and i'm sure once identified this will be THE SOFTWARE for me :rolleyes:

I'm looking for a way to change the timeline display to "frames" instead of the default "time" display.

I could not find the hotkeys to move frame by frame on the timeline, is there a way to do so or to change/set hotkeys?

It's quite straight forward getting to export the videos, but i couldn't find a way to export Uncompressed videos. Can this be done in the home edition, if not is it available in the Masters edition?

It's not clear to me what are all feature available in the Masters edition... all that is mentioned on the site is this:

"The "Master's Edition" registration has all features - unlimited audio tracks and plugins. You can use a single installation of VideoPad (on a single computer) without restrictions."

Thanks in advance,

HarryG.

Hi

VP will not display individual frames on the time line. As these are generated as thumbnails and stored in the cache, that would take an age.

If you want to step through your video a frame at a time then look under the right hand preview pane. (Left pane is the same but only for the selected clip). Bottom left you will see the large triangular "Play" button. To either side of this are the Previous Frame and Next Frame tabs (Upper pair) and the Goto Start and Goto End tabs. (Lower pair)

If you click these, the preview screen will display the next (or previous) video frame and the red cursor line will move along the timeline to keep pace.

Nat

Don't know the distinction between the "masters" - "home" - "professional" versions. In "pro" the export formats available are...

3gp, asf, avi, dv, flv, gif, mkv, mov, mp4, mpg, ogg, rm, swf, webm, wmv

As for hotkeys, in the CLIP player...

Ctrl+] Next frame in Clip

Ctrl+[ Previous Frame in Clip

Thanks for the reply Guys. Borate, i've downloaded v3.72, and it's great! So, i'm guessing there isn't a way to export uncompressed videos then?

Nat, I don't mean displaying frames on the timeline, On the top where the red cursor line moves (where it's marked 0:00:00:00) i want to change that to display frame numbers instead - 1,2,3,.... Is there a way to do that?

Thanks

Hi

The short answer is no. If you fiddle with the timeline zoom (zoom in) you can arrive at a point where the time divisions equal one frame but the sequence line would still registers time. :mellow: It might be nice to display all those frames with numbers above them since you would feel you were using actual film, but the frame is shown in the right preview pane, That's not to say it would be impossible to implement. but the values shown would have to reprinted with gaps like the time values do as the sequence is zoomed in and out.

I think one of the difficulties of implementing this idea is the fact that the clips you see on the timeline have been (in most cases) shortened by time ...not actually cut physically and transitions like crossfade can contain one or more images from each participating clip depending on how you have created them. Counting these and setting up the figures would have to be continually calculated and updated as you add/cut/remove overlap sections of clip, and would also have to refer to possibly several overlay tracks. It would be a difficult task to set this up as numbers of frames and I think it would prohibitively slow the program down. Even now some moderate PCs have to work really hard to run the numerous features VP currently has. Time divisions are more easily calculated and reasonably simple to show.

Although a continuous frame number sequence might be complicated, I suppose that the cursor position (timewise) could be converted to seconds and then divided by the frames/sec value of the clip to produce a frame number that might be displayed in a small window somewhere........?? Easily done I should think with few overheads but perhaps not that accurate.

You can always suggest it to NCH. :)

Nat

Thanks Nat,

I will suggest this to NCH, i think this would make things easier for people who prefer working with frame numbers. But like you said it could slow the software down and the best thing about it is the speed at which it performs at the moment. I don't use it for very complex editing, mostly animation line up with audio and fades. But the issue begins when the audio used in the animation software is offset by a few frames and when we need to fade in and fade out at different frame values. Never the less I love using it as it does everything i need to make a decent demo of my work without having to faff about for too long like i would in premier.

Thanks for looking into this for me Nat :)

Harry

• 5 years later...

Definitely in need of implementing Timecode and "Frame Numbers" please! 

After forty years in the business, it's very strange trying to edit with "thousandths of seconds!!  ;-)
Thanks for a very useful product. I've tried nearly everything on the market and I like VideoPad very much.
Best Regards,

Peter