New user. What is the difference between note range and frequency

cmikkelson41

Sorry if this may seem like a dumb question but I am completely new at using any type of software like this. I am trying to learn the basics so I know what I am looking at and how to understand it. Does anyone know or know where I can find information on the difference between note range and frequency. For example on audio sample I am looking at the specific spot has this info:

Frequency 818-838

Note range: G#5/Ab5 (-13hz) to G#5/Ab5 (+7hz)

Gain -57db

This is a personal recording of speech and I am trying to figure out what all that means exactly.

I appreciate any help that I can get on this one as my numerous attempts at finding an answer was futile.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Alex Chapman

WavePad's frequency analysis has a resolution of about 20Hz, so it can tell you how much signal there was in a particular range, not at a specific frequency. Notes, on the other hand, are at specific frequencies. G#5/Ab5 (that's G-sharp-5 / A-flat-5, two different names for the same frequency) is around 831Hz (see http://www.phy.mtu.edu/~suits/notefreqs.html). So your frequency range is from 818Hz, 13Hz below G#5/Ab5, to 838Hz, 7Hz above the same note.