Videopad won't open file

richardbelldc

I have been working for days on a movie, and have saved the file many times.When I opened Videopad and got to the screen that offers a choice, and clicked on Open Most recent project, there was a brief flash in the upper left corner of my

screen--too fast for me to read--and then nothing, The file did not open. None of the files I had loaded appeared in the left-hand box.

I tried opening the file from the drop-down bar, and also got nothing.

What can I do to get Videopad to find and open this file, on which I have spent at least 50 hours of work?

Thanks

Hi

I think you will have to loacte the project file yourself for a start.

When you say that you saved your project many times, did you take the option to "Save Project File" or "Save Project File As.." If you simply used "Save Project File" there will only be one copy as this choice overwrites the old work each time.

It's not a bad idea to "Save Project File As..." a time or two so you have another copy in case of a problem.

Now..Do you know the name that you gave to your project file (the .vpj file)

If you do, search for this from your start button. (Windows) and it should come up. If it doesn't most likely you have deleted it somehow. It will have the icon that looks like a piece of film with a yellow star in the centre.

If it comes up then double left click it. VP should open it. (You won't be able to drag/drop it into the open program but you can drop it onto the VP program icon when it should open)

If you get the opening splash screen when you load VP, there should be a location indicated after the prompt:

"Open Most recent Project" The .vpj file should be there.

Nat

I am getting a box that reads, "An autosave project file exists in addition to the specificed project. Which project would you like to try to open?"

The choices are "Open Autosave", "Open Name of File," and "Cancel."

I have tried clicking on "Open Autosave". There is a brief flicker, and I can see another small box underneath, but this box flickers away so fast I can't see what it's offering. The screen then ressolves to the home screen, with no files shown in the left-most box, and no sign of the movie. Is there some way to identify the name of the Autosaved file, which would have a number of changes that I've made since the last saved version?

Thanks for your advice.

Hi

I have not come across that particular message. Sorry.

What do you get if you load VP, create a new project to get the basic home screen, click on the "File" tab and hover the cursor over the option "Recent Projects" (3rd one down)? This should give a list from which you could try to load something.

Not sure where the autosaved project is stored but I don't think it can be opened in the conventional way anyway.

Nat

I tried the "recent projects" idea you suggested. The name of the file I want is on the list that comes up. But when I click on the file name, I get a box that flashes open and disappears before I can see what the box says, leaving me at a blank "new" project screen.

Does anyone know where the autosaved files are located?

Thanks

Hi

Sounds like your project file might be corrupted in some way. Have you checked the process is actually working by creating a new project with, say, just an image on the timeline and then saving this as a "TEST" .vpj file and seeing if this saves and loads in to VP OK?

Nat