Video Pad wont open...i bought the CD version a few years ago.

Crash43

I went to open my "Video Pad" ........like i have in the past......However this time...it would not open......I could find no Uninstall like a program should have......so i found the NCH folder and deleted it.......then went to regedit and deleted the key for NCH sofware......I rebooted and then inserted the CD and re installed it again......it installed however i get the same thing.......The short cut icon wont open the program......i wrote support at NCH and got a reply back and they told me to uninstall and re install from a link they provided it was a old version of the VP.......they even sent me the code to activate the program........How ever i still cant get the VP to start !........please help me.... Thanks Mike

Ok Nat.......will try that...and hopefully i can get the Program back!.......and If the version that i have installed wont or dont have a uninstall like normal programs should......what shall i do?....shall i do like before and take it out.......manually piece by piece ? let me know please...Nat....i have down loaded the latest version.....i will not do a thing TILL i hear from you Or any others.........Thanks

Hi

In "Modify or Uninstall or Modify a program" I have Videopad Video Editor listed. Double clicking this would normally uninstall it following the usual prompts. But ...as you say you have deleted references to NCH and haven't seemingly run the new vpset.exe, just downloaded it, I wouldn't expect to see it there.

However, if you have downloaded the latest version, you should have a copy of vpsetup.exe somewhere on your computer. Probably in your download folder. This is what you downloaded. Don't lose this.

Find it and Double click it and it will load VP. (Refuse any offer of Google Chrome etc if you wish..that's your choice)

Once loaded there will be several folders created but now go into your programs folder and look for NCH Software.

Right click the Videopad.exe file and create a shortcut for your desktop if you want.

VP should run from this exe file or the shortcut . Note the version number at the bottom left of the main window.(e.g.3.60)

Now look for the vpsetup.exe file in your download folder and change the name to vpsetup v3.6.exe. Drag and drop it into the NCH Software folder in Programs. You can now always reinstall VP from this if needs be.

Nat

Einstein I did as you asked......and i did have a short cut already on the desk top.....i went to it and ((((clicked)))) on it and still like before...i get a hour glass and a few blinks of of the C Drive lite and then nothing ! still won't Open-need to dig a little deeper and get My $44.99 paid for Video Editor Software Up and Running so i can use it..........Thanks

Hi

Is your shortcut an old one? If it is it might be pointing to a non existant folder as you manually removed these and may have left the SC on the desktop.You can check where it is pointing if you right click the shortcut once and then left click "Properties". The target should be displayed.

If you have any doubts, open the NCH Software folder in Programs and directly double click the videopad.exe file.

If it still doesn't open... :unsure: ???

Nat

Nat......I opened the short cut icon and then to short cut tab then clicked on it and it went right to the main Video Pad folder in the video pad program files......it was high lighted......when the program is opened.......wonder if zone alarm or Node 32 halts it for some reason ?.......and i have tryed the launch file in the folder.......But same crap again......hour glass and a few c drive blinks........and thats it !................MIKE

I purchased "Video Pad" because my Windows "Movie Maker" quit and thinking back.......it did the same thing that VP is now doing......i hope that this really could HELP me get my NCH Video Pad Editor back UP and usable !........Thanks

What operating system? Are Windows updates current? How much free space on the hard drive? How much RAM? What video card? Are the video drivers current?

Have you performed the usual maintenance tasks: defragmenting the drive (unless it's an SSD), cleaning temp and unneeded files and programs?

Guru.....I really need this program back.....i have lots of work to do since i purchased a Hero Pro 3+ Sports Camera !......Ok "windows XP Sp3"......"30 gigs free space"......."3 gigs of Ram"......"Video Card RADEON 7775"..... Video Driver is 12.6 and i will def rag the system asap..... the temp files are cleaned out when i shut down for the evening......Ok Guru......going to de frag and a few other things......Just a GREAT BIG Thank for doing what you can to HELP me get the VP going again! Thanks Again.

Doing some searching and heres what i have found !

I looked at my in program files......i found a NCH folder.......However when i opened it......it contained another folder.....with the Video Pad program and the other contents inside that last folder too........IS that right ? I opened the IOBIT short cut fixer and heres what the short cut is : C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\VideoPad Video Editor.lnk sooooooo what you think? Thanks to all who Help me......

Disregard the shortcuts for now.

Yes, in the Program Files (86) NCH folder, there are subfolders. One is named "VideoPad."

Inside that folder there may be many files, including several "Videopadsetup_vXXX.exe" files. Those are the installers.

There should also be a file named, simply "Videopad.exe."

THAT is the file that will launch the program, if it's correctly installed.

A shortcut to that file can be configured by right-clicking on it, then clicking CREATE SHORTCUT.

That shortcut can be dragged to any other folder, such as Desktop.

Thanks Guru........You know I dont think when ever i have peeked in the NCH folder and opened the inter folder......That i have never ever seen a exe file for the opening of the VP program.........I now have it all uninstalled and do you think that i should re install it off the "Bought CD"?.........of the later version of it ?........and IF i install the new / later program......will my old code that i got from NCH still apply and will give me all the Pro features that i paid for ?..........Thanks Toooooooooo all Who HELP me !

Hi

Not sure if your activation code will work for the latest version but you could try it. It shouldn't cause a problem. However the CD version is what you paid for and presumably works with the code you have.

If you choose to download it from the NCH download page (see link in earlier post above) select "SAVE" from the download options and save the file you get somewhere safe so you can use it again in the event of problems. This is the vpsetup.exe file.......the installer file.

Double clicking this file will install the program and overwrite an existing version. If you do need to clear out VP in the event of problems, keep the installer so you can load VP back again. Your CD version is similar to the installer and loads the VP programs directly and overwrites the old version.

Similarly, double clicking the vpsetup.exe file you saved will overwrite the CD version......... and so on... That's why I suggested you add the version number to the setup filename. I have several vpsetup.exe files and can switch between them quite easily to compare versions. Borate would appear to have the same. :)

and as he notes..There should also be a file named, simply "Videopad.exe."

THAT is the file that will launch the program, if it's correctly installed.

if it doesn't launch when you double click this then there is something wrong.

Nat

Well.....i installed it off the one that NCH sent me......."videopad-2-41-2011-06-21".......it installed...*However still will Not Open !....i have a short cut on the desk top named : VideoPad Video Editor........running the pointer over it i get : Launch Videopad Video Editor and in propertys "short cut tab its says : Program Files\NCH Software \ VideoPad \ videopad.exe and on the short cut key line It read NONE <<<< is that the problem.........No short cut ? Thanks to all who are doing The Best to Help me.......Thank You.

No, that's not a problem. The SHORTCUT box in the PROPERTIES tab is for assigning key strokes - to open the program. It's strictly an option.

Yes, clicking on the installer that NCH sent should have been all that's required.

You tried the latest version? http://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/

If the results are the same, and you also did everything suggested earlier, then you have an unusual PC problem. Try another machine, if available..

You might also describe your woes to NCH, mentioning this thread and underscoring that the program has worked for you in the past. http://www.nch.com.au/support/index.html

Hi

"Well.....i installed it off the one that NCH sent me......."videopad-2-41-2011-06-21"......."

OK..This would seem to be version 2.41 It differs from later versions as it has a single main video line with overlay tracks. Works faster as a consequence. No problem here.

"i have a short cut on the desk top named : VideoPad Video Editor..."

That's OK.

"...running the pointer over it i get : Launch Videopad Video Editor "

That's OK.

"and in propertys "short cut tab its says : Program Files\NCH Software \ VideoPad \ videopad.exe ..."

Again, that's OK. This is the address of the target program for the shortcut. (But the target program must be there for it to run when the shortcut is double clicked... <_< )

"....and on the short cut key line It read NONE <<<< is that the problem.........No short cut ? "

Ignore this box. It is not significant You would normally open VP from the shortcut icon on your desktop.

The next step is to check if you actually have the VP files in the correct place.

On the SC properties screen left click the box lower down called "Open the folder containing the file"...Not sure what this is in English as I have a French PC ("Ouvrir l'emplacement du fichier")

This should now open up the Programs/NCH Software/VideoPad/ folder and highlight the Videopad.exe program file.

If this is NOT there then the desktop SC won't function as it hasn't got a target file to open.

If it IS there then you should be able to launch VP from the SC on the desktop (or by double clicking the highlighted file you have just found.)

Now...if you don't see the Videopad.exe file in the folder. Go back to the desktop and do a search for it. If you find it (in another folder) delete the desktop SC by dropping it in the dustbin and then open the folder that your search has found that does contain Videopad.exe

Right click the file and select to create a new SC which you can ask to be placed on the desktop.

Now either use this new SC or double click the program file to open it.

If it still doesn't play then there is something wrong. :(

Later....One thing that might be the problem but don't really know.....I notice you are using XP. Open the properties window for the SC and check the compatability settings. I think you should have it set for XP. Worth trying.

Nat

Nat / Einstein........Thanks for the very through seeking a answer to the problem here with Videopad.exe...... I read thru all the above and then the one near last about the File named Videopad.exe.....Look for it.........i went to program files.....found the NCH Software folder........and then opened it and the inter one...videopad.......then went to the videopad icon and clicked on it to open..........IT would Not Open........ to show contents and.......it was labeled /named Videopad Videopad Editor No other name !..........this has got to be the problem ? Thanks also to "Guru" we are gonna get this issue fixed i know.

Hi

Interesting problem this........As I understand it......

Your shortcut on the desktop points to..

...Program Files\NCH Software \ VideoPad \ videopad.exe

This as it should be. and when you go to your program files folder, you find..

NCH Software (Folder) and inside this

Videopad (Folder)

Can you list for us the contents of this folder???

Inside this folder you should have along with other items, a Program file (An Application of about 4,270 Kb) called Videopad.exe

This has an icon that looks like a length of film with a yellow star in the centre.

THIS IS THE VIDEOPAD PROGRAM. and double clicking the icon should open Videopad.

There are no contents to see (as you suggest) as it is a program-not a folder.

Do you have this???? or are you seeing another folder??

Note: You may also see another application in the videopad folder called uninst.exe with a similar icon. This is the uninstall program.

****Your post suggests something is there named Videopad videopad editor...Is this a folder or a program?

As a guide my Videopad folder contains...

Help.....................Folder

Deshaker.exe .... Plugin file

ffmpeg12.exe .....Application

ffmpeg16.exe......Application

ffmpeg18.exe......Application

ffmpeg19.exe......Application

uninst.exe...........Application (This has the film/yellow star icon)

videopad.exe......Application (This has the film/yellow star icon and is the program pointed to by the desktop shortcut.)

Also listed are various vpsetup.exe files.

Somewhere you should have videopad.exe

We will get to the bottom of it somehow.

:mellow: (Maybe not)

Nat

Oh heres what i have inside the "Videopad" Folder ! help folder....deshaker folder....flmpeg12....uninst folder shows *star icon.....videopad folder shows *star icon....videopad-2-41-2011-06-21_v2.41 Soooooooo am i missing some folders in this version ?.......is that why i wont launch / execute ? Thank You all who are helping me.....YES we are going to get this program going !...........Thank You all again !

Hi

The contents of the videopad folder are correct...

".....videopad folder shows *star icon...."

Presumably you mean "file" for this item, not "folder". and it's name is videopad.exe. :mellow: Correct???

Depending on how your PC is configured it may not show file extensions but otherwise it may list this item as an application.

If this is the case and as it has the film/star icon it is an executable program file and you should double left click it to open Videopad.

Does this open Videopad? If not, what happens when you double click the file???

"....videopad-2-41-2011-06-21_v2.41 "

You mention this is also listed. You don't say if this is a folder or not. but my guess is that it is a folder loaded from your CD containing version 2.41 files

If it is a folder open it and let us know what is in it please. It could contain another videopad.exe for the 2.41 version.

Nat

To all who are doing their very best to get My "paid for copy" of Video Pad going ....A UPDATE This am i thought well i will click the vp icon and see IF vp is going to open for me this time......I right left clicked on it and the c drive lite just did not blink a few times it blinked many many times.......then my VP opened to show the main screen that you work on with the vids......I dont know why it opened like it did?......then i got the NCH panel that asked me up grade or register this copy and then it asked for the code i got when i registered it 3 years ago.....it accepted my code and UP Graded my copy to the pro version........I was so happy too......and I Truly do Thank each and ever one of you......that helped along to get my VP going again for me.......I peeked in the NCH folder and found another folder named components......never had that one before....And now i only hope that when i close to VP program that it will re open OK!..........I'll let you know !.........Thanks to all who did their very best to help me.........MIKE

Just a short UP date about the VP not launching issue !

Its working Great...and i did notify NCH Tech support of the thread during that time that was being created on the nch forumn "video Pad".... and Thank you too all thos that never gave up and left me their with a near $50.00 program that would not work. "Cheers". Mike in The USA