Music Videos?

LF123

Can I use VideoPad to make a music video. That is, to sequence multiple video clips and 2 soundtracks. One soundtrack (the backing track) would be for the duration of the video. The second soundtrack would be for a sequence of audio clips, which would need to be synced to the first. Then the video clips would need to be synced to the audio. In other words, would it be possible, for example, to take various video clips and audio clips of a guitar player and sync them to a backing audio track, and have it appear smooth as if it were all recorded in real time? Thanks.

Can be done. If the same audio was captured by different recorders, they should have been synched at that time, to avoid speed differences.

Simply recording the same material on two recorders, without having them sync-locked, can lead to much frustration. Talk with a knowledgeable audio person.

Suggest first adding the backing track, then sync the sequence of audio clips and, finally, lay down the silent video.

Thank you, borate. This will all be done with the same camcorder. What I hope to do is video the player from different angles. For instance, a verse from one angle, chorus and instrumental break from others, then splice it together. Trying to make it look and sound like one take done with several cameras. The same with the audio; putting down the separately recorded parts on one background track. Just wanted to know if this is possible before purchasing. From your response, this seems possible.

Hi

I have done this as a challenge a couple of times times with the orchestra I play with, but used two cameras during one performance. One camera was fixed filming the whole scene and recording the sound, the other was roving, picking out various players in close up/different angles etc. and making cutaway shots. Obviously there are limitations as sound recorded like this was is not particularly good but if you can record your session with a proper setup as a separate recording all the better.

The fun part was editing.

Put the main video on the sequence track (video track 1)with the total recording and then drop the cutaways onto the overlay track (video track 2) and adjust them until their sound tracks play together with no echo. Now mute the overlay track.

As you can trim the overlay tracks to whatever length you like (depending on the shot length), dissolves can easily be made between the two tracks using the transparency effect.

Unfortunately you can't use other transitions as they won't work between video tracks. As I made these some time ago with an earlier version of VP, there may be some enhancements that you can use with 3.58.

"Splicing" your cutaways into the main sequence would be quite difficult.

If you are using a single camcorder you would need to film the whole performance at least twice, once for the recording, and the other for the cutaways. This would create what you would get with two cameras. You can't do what you want easily, if at all with one camera and one performance, even with a separately recorded sound track, as you need video for the whole duration.

Nat

Thanks, Nat, for the very good tips. I will video the whole performance and then video a second or third time with the other angles If that will be easier. It isn't a live show, we're staging it. Wish me luck!

HI LF

Best of luck...Just to say, if you do video a second or third performance from different angles, they won't necessarily need to be complete performance recordings. You can shoot a clip here and another clip there etc. (or simply keep the camera running and move about between the shot positions.) The sound you get will simply be for synching in with the main clip. Provided the performance speed is about the same as your main clip performance, you can overlay them and synch them in; mute them and they should look OK.

Nat