1st video capture nightmare

chris76

Hi i downloaded video capture software to record a $700 5hour webinar yesterday and encountered problems

So i am having to pay to do it again in the future,what i want is to be able to record the whole thing uniterrupted and for it to use around 10-15gb of memory and then to play it back on my desktop and move it to my laptop without any issues,is this possible?

The problems i had is an hour and a half into the recording it had used up all my free disk space (189gb) i spent the rest of the webinar frantically trying to move it to an external drive to free up space to continue recording.

now i have chunks of the webinar spread across a couple of pcs and dont know what to do with it.

why did this happen is it because it was recorded in game mode? i have since recorded in avi and it seems to use a lot less memory.

what can i do with my recordings now? i cant seem to move the 189gb chunk to an external drive is there and is there any way to compress the files down so to use less memory?

thank you

I have no experience with webinars.

189GB :blink: I wonder if the file was 'finalised' - can you play it? If I get a PC crash while screen-capturing with Debut, the recording that was ongoing at the time is not playable.

NCH make Prism Video Converter (you may have it in the NCH folder ready for installation) which they say can compress video - you can probably use it on trial.

I've never tangled with such a huge video, but nowadays I record in mp4, for ease of handling, and don't notice a very significant reduction in quality. It would still have been a huge file, just not quite as huge.

A tip for the future - in Options>Recording, you can set Debut to stop and resume recording periodically, so that you never end up with an unmanageable file. You miss a couple of seconds while Debut finalises one segment and starts the next, so you may not want to set the maximum recording time for less than an hour.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/satissa/techie%20misc/2014-07-2720_24_07-Options_zpsa8807c13.jpg

Also, the higher your quality settings the more 'heavy' the resulting video will be to handle.

I found someone saying that they use a Firefox extension "Download them all" for saving webinars. If that link doesn't work you can search for it in Firefox's extension page.

I can't understand why a 5-hour video should be that size, though. After all, an HD movie would only be 2-4GB.

thanks for the reply

i can play it through the find and play section but not in the saved video section where it says converting file then plays. However it wont play in the videos tab - windows player opens but theres only sound

the file is saved as .avi if that helps explain?

so is this software any good?

i am having to pay (at a reduced rate this time) to resit the webinar and all i want to do is record my screen for around 5 hrs and hopefully use around 10gb??

thanks in advance

need to get this file off my desktop so need to know if it can be compressed and play using windows? I have now got loads of adware so nead to do system restore?

i have a chunk on my laptop also (59gb) but the sound is very poor is there any way this can be restored? if not i may as well just delete the file?

thanks

• 1 year later...

If you are running out of disk storage for large files, I recommend you get a 4TB (4000 GB) external usb 3.0 hard drive (approx $125 at Costco). Be sure to connect everything to a UPS. And you can move the drive to another computer if you need to.