Merge clips from multiple projects

jacksonmacd

Is it possible to merge the clips from multiple projects into a (new) single project? I tried the Clip > Import Clips from Another Project, but it only made a list of the clips and OMITTED the name, In Point, and Out Point from each clip.

I've imported some long videos from old family-movie, VHS tapes into six projects, and identified multiple clips in each one. I would like to merge them into a single project before I start the detailed editing.

Thanks in advance.

Hi

If you have created a project with multiple clips and then saved it as a project file (a vpj file) then you can import those clips from that project into a new one using the option you mention. The clips will appear in the clip bin but they will be the complete clips.

The fact that in your original project you may have edited them using in/out points or cut and moved segments about is irrelevant. These are simply data points and are used by VP to re-create THAT saved project. Your saved project isn't saving the shortened clips - just the data regarding the clip and how you cut it.

If you import a clip from that project (providing it hasn't been moved) it will be just the complete clip.

If you want to edit the totality of your projects, it might be best to consider loadingyour first one and editing it, saving the result as a sequence. Import the clips from the second project (create a new folder in the clip bin if necessary) Add these to the squence line to recreate the second project and edit that. Save as a second sequence. and so on. Each sequecne saved in this way will be a complete clip however. The sequences can be added together.

If this is not to your liking then load each project one at a time and export it to your PC as an avi. You will now have six avi files (one from each project) that you can load to VP as though they were clips.

Nat

Hi

If you have created a project with multiple clips and then saved it as a project file (a vpj file) then you can import those clips from that project into a new one using the option you mention. The clips will appear in the clip bin but they will be the complete clips.

The fact that in your original project you may have edited them using in/out points or cut and moved segments about is irrelevant. These are simply data points and are used by VP to re-create THAT saved project. Your saved project isn't saving the shortened clips - just the data regarding the clip and how you cut it.

If you import a clip from that project (providing it hasn't been moved) it will be just the complete clip.

Nat

Not sure we are understanding each other. I don't know what you mean by the word "complete" in this context. For example, my original project has 25 clips. Let's say that the inpoint/outpoint for number one is 1 minute and 2 minutes, while clip number 2 is 5 minutes and 7 minutes. Similar data for all of the 25 points. **That's** what I would like to import into the second project. Instead, what I get is a list of 25 clips, all with the **same** name and all with in/out points that span the entire length of the original file. There is zero information about what timespan is covered by any of the clips.

My question: is that what you mean by "complete". If so, then the program is working properly, but delivering useless information. If it's not what you mean, then I am afraid I don't understand what you mean by "complete".

So far, I have not even *used* the clips in a sequence -- I've only identified their in/out points. It's cut down a six-hour file into perhaps one hour of "interesting" stuff. I fully expect that more cutting will be required as I make a final sequence.

I will look at your information about saving out the various avi's, but it just seems to me that preserving the information about what timespans are represented for each clip would be more straightforward.

Hi

"Let's say that the inpoint/outpoint for number one is 1 minute and 2 minutes, while clip number 2 is 5 minutes and 7 minutes. Similar data for all of the 25 points. **That's** what I would like to import into the second project. Instead, what I get is a list of 25 clips, all with the **same** name and all with in/out points that span the entire length of the original file."

That is correct...as I said, If you import from another project then you will import ALL of the clip(s) (i.e. the clip(s) will be complete) and they will appear listed in the Media list Clip bin. You will not import any editing (in/out cuts) you may have done with them. In effect the in/out positions will be at square one ....at the start and finish of each clip. i.e. the clips will be complete.

If I follow you correctly...Your first project has 25 clips.

You have created a sequence of these clips, shortening them as necessary using the in'out markers.

You have then saved your project (a .vpj file)

That's OK so far.

OK to be clear, if you have started work on a second project (or loaded a second project) and then want to IMPORT these 25 clips into it, then all 25 clips will be imported full length again and they will appear in your media list with their original names. You will not import your shortened clips that you created with the in/out markers in the first project. This is what I meant by "complete"

What you need to do to retain your editing, is to save your first project as an avi file. and then add it as a media clip to your second project and repeat this for each project in turn. You will then have created a sequence of 6 avi files.

Nat