Converting VHS

Micah0608

I have lots of old VHS tapes that I am trying to back-up to my computer. I am brand new to the capture process and do not know a lot about file formats or quality differences, but I am semi-handy with the computer.

My goal is to convert the tapes, and store them on the computer - not for copying, but as a way of preserving them.

At first, I first found Golden Videos and started using i, but then I saw Debut. It looks like Debut is sort of an "upgraded" program that does all of Golden Videos plus a whole lot more. Is this correct?

Before I make the decision to purchase the program, and before I get very many tapes recorded, I want to make sure I choose the right program.

Does anyone know the difference between these program and which would be best for recording video tapes?

Hello,

With Debut you can use a capture device to connect your VCR to your PC. You can than record all of the VHS tape into a digital format on your computer. More information about a video capture device for connecting your VCR, please visit this link:

http://www.altoedge.com/usbcapture/index.html

For more information on Debut, please go here:

http://www.nchsoftware.com/capture/index.html

- NCH Software

Thank you.

I installed Golden Videos and have been using it already. After using it, though I came across Debut and was wondering if I would do better purchasing this to copy my tapes. Is Debut a better recording software for video tapes? Or should I just stick with Golden Videos?

My question may be more academic now, though. I installed Debut last night from a flash drive. When I tried to record a video, Debut attempted to contact NCH. This computer is permanently offline, and apparently Debut needs to connect before allowing any recording.

• 7 years later...