Change file path names in projects compiled on different computers?

Isis

I have a number of Videopad projects made in an earlier version of Videopad, as well as on an earlier version of Windows.

I tried to open one, and Videopad 'converted' the project. Could someone tell me what Videopad is converting when it does that? I would think there wouldn't be anything so different that it would require conversion.

Once the project loaded, none of the files could be found, because part of the path name to the location of the files had changed when I migrated from one Windows version to the other. I figured that I could just move the entire folder over to the same location on the new computer, but Windows rearranged things and now there is no such path anymore.

Is there any way to change the path names on these files, preferrably all at once, so I don't have to start totally from scratch?

I currently use Videopad 2.41, the home trial version.

Thank you.

Hi

"I tried to open one, and Videopad 'converted' the project. Could someone tell me what Videopad is converting when it does that? I would think there wouldn't be anything so different that it would require conversion."

If you change to a later version of VP, the names and format of the constituent files that make up the .vpj project file as well as the file names in the will be different to those generated by an earlier version.

A later version of VP however, can load a project from an earlier version but will have to convert the files to the new format, and that is what you see happening.

However, a .vpj file created with the later version cannot be read by an earlier version, as the names of the files will not be known.

Even though a later version of VP can convert an earlier version .vpj file, in my experience the project formatting will not always be correct. (effects and transitions and even clip splits might be missing.)

Having converted the files to the later format, VP will then try to find the files on your PC. If they have been moved or renamed then the file path will not be correct and VP will inform you of this.

There will be an option to find the missing files on the (new) PC but I don't think you can change them en masse. This option has to be repeated for each file, even if you have placed them in the same folder, which is a bit of a pain.

Someone else may add to this hopefully.

Nat

• 1 month later...

I am having a similar problem with VideoPad. I am trying to create a VideoPad Project file that has media included then allow it to be transferred to other computers. I have included all the source files as well as the project file in a compressed folder that my students then download on their own computers. However when they try to open the project file VP is still trying to find the source files on my computer.

Is there an easy way to transfer a VP Project to another computer? Thanks!

-Henry

Paths and file names must be exactly what they were originally or VP won't locate them automatically. It may, however, prompt for manual location.

When constructing the project it may help to aggregate copies of the media files into a single folder, which could then be duplicated on other machines.