Windows 8 - not playing mov files and hot keys are not working

jmmefm

I have recently purchased a new laptop with Windows 8 and I cannot play mov files. When I try to load the file I get a message "The program can't start because avutil-52.nch.dll is missing from your computer. try reinstalling the program to fix this problem. I am worried that if I uninstall and then reinstall it still won't work and I have the Pro version.

• 8 months later...

It is really unbelievable that NCH does not provide a solution to this problem with avutil-52.nch.dll. Or would it mean that Videopad is not compatible with WIndows 8? I have recently bought a new laptop with windows 8.1 and installed Videopad, because I used it before on windows XP, but I think I will install MovieMaker or something similar...

I don't know how I have finally got the missing file... I tried to copy the last ffmpeg files following the recommandations found in another post, I did it probably wrong so removed it, uninstalled everythings, tried to install an older version of Videopad but was not working because only compatible with windows 7, and then finally reinstalling Videopad using the same vpsetup.exe. And strangely avutil-52.nch.dll is now present in the ffmpeg18 directory...

So it is finally working, but I don't understand how. I have installed Microsoft Essentials in the meantime, don't know if there is any relation.