Zoom animation for stills missing?

alexf

I am new to video editing, just a still photographer, but learning with my new GoPro.

How do I add a zoom animation to stills as in the "Ken Burns Efffect"?

I saw a tutorial in YouTube showing how easy it is with the Zoom and move animations, yet my selection of offered animations out of the box when I purchased VideoPad does not include Zoom. What am I missing?

Alex

In video effects, use SCALE, and set keyframes. Click the green + sign to set a keyframe. There's a separate box for scale X (horizontal) and for scale Y (vertical).

Then advance the scrubber (the red line) to a later point, click on the blue line and drag up or down - to set another keyframe. Or use the sliders at the left and click the + once again.

The closer the keyframes are spaced, the faster the action. For more on keyframes, click the ? for the HELP file and study the "Effects and Transitions - Animating Video Effects" section.

Hi

For a simple zoom or pan, right click your image on the sequence line to select and then the yellow star at the left end.

Click the small down arrow next to "Add Effects" tab and choose CROP.

You will now see a preview window to the right and a thumbnail with an orange rectangle on the left. Ther will also be the keyframe block to the right of the green crosses as mentioned by Borate.

You can force the aspect ratio to 4:3 or 16:9 as you wish or leave it free. It is best to force a particular ratio (usually 16:9) as if you use "None" the effect will leave black bars in the sequence line image. 16:9 will ensure that the VP is always full.

Make sure that the red cursor line is at the left (start of the image clip) although you can start your effect at any place.

Drag the sides or corners of the orange rectangle and drag it about to outline the starting frame of your effect. You will see the blue lines in the keyframe panels move up or down.

When you are happy click the green cross. This will place orange blocks on the blue line to mark the parameters for your first keyframe.

Now move the red cursor bar to the end point for your effect. The orange blocks will turn green showing the keyframe has been recorded.

Now alter your orange rectangle to reflect the end image frame for your effect. You will see the blue lines move again but they will remain fixed at the green blocks.

When you are happy with the end framing move the cursor bar again to fix the end keyframe. You can review your effect on the right.

Close the "Applied Effects" window and wait a moment for VP to create the effect.

The speed of the effect depends on the duration of the particular image. This can be varied most easily in storyboard mode.

You can create any number of keyframes throughout the image clip to produce more complex movements of the frame size.

If you just want to pan the image then the start and final rectangle (obviously samller than the actual image) should be at the same height in both keyframes.

Nat

• 6 months later...

Hi

I don't think the Ken Burns effect was ever incorporated into VP.as an automatic item. (Not after V2.41 anyway) With slide show presentations you should add all your slides to the timeline in the order you want them to play and then add the Pan effects manually as described in the posts above,between them. (Using the Crop effect, forcing a particular AR and zooming to fill the frame,) You can adjust the speed of the effect used by simply altering the length of time the individual clips (Images) are displayed for. You can do this by switching into storyboard mode and altering the time value beneath each thumbnail. In fact it is probably quicker and easier to use storyboard mode for still image slideshows.

Nat

• 1 year later...