Windows XP 64 bit and modems

Guest Thomas Lasswell

Guest Thomas Lasswell

I looked long and hard for a voice modem that would work with Windows XP64 bit.

No voice modems drivers are available with Windows XP64 and none from Microsoft.

I did not find a single vendor who listed a hardware modem with a 64 bit driver.

Intel however is the solution. Intel has drivers for their chipsets. I hunted for a Intel 536EP chipset modem as recommended on your site and avoided the HaM chipset modems (also as recommended but additionally because they are soft modems). The 536EP modems are "hardware" modems but they are controllerless so they still use some CPU time. This could cause problems on slow systems but should be insignificant on a machine desiged for XP64.

It is not that easy to find one of these modems and I had several vendors substitute "equivalents" that did not work. Make sure you are clear with your vendor that you want to see the Intel XXX536EP on the chip.

To install you download the Intel drivers from http://intel.com then downloads, chipsets, modem chipsets, 536EP download and set up the modem as a generic modem and point to the files you downloaded and unzipped.

It took a few tries to get it but I was able to bring it up using the Intel 64 bit drivers from the Intel site with good success.

The modem I used was an Encore Ambient(Intel)-chipset modem. It has excellent volume and clarity. DTMF is reasonably quick when menu driven.

I would recommend this solution for XP64 users.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...