Remove hum from old time radio show

mikeotrfan

I downloaded an old radio show. There is a hum that is causing the sound to be muffled. I can take a snapshot of a section where there is just the hum. How can I use, if at all possible, that snapshot to cause the hum to disappear. I've click on numerous different options, all to no avail. I'd really appreciate help! Thanks in advance!

Guest Alex Chapman

Hi Mike,

Check out the Cleanup section on the Effects tab, and the Noise Reduction tools in particular. I just tried this out by mixing some brown noise (made with ToneGen) with spoken audio. I was then able to recover a good approximation of my original audio with the following process:

1. Apply Auto Spectral Subtraction. The brown noise was less audible.

2. Apply Auto Spectra Subtraction again. The brown noise is now only audible in the gaps between words, and quite soft.

2. Apply a Noise Gate with settings: Threshold -18dB, Hold 20ms, Attack 0ms, Release 0ms, Attenuate -10dB. Here the threshold is the most important setting, because it determines what gets cut out. I made the attenuation fairly small so that the words didn't sound clipped.

You asked specifically about using a snapshot to reduce the noise. To do this, select your snapshot, and use 'Grab noise sample from selected area for spectral subtraction'. Next unselect your snapshot (so that the following will apply to the whole file), and use 'Spectral subtraction based on noise sample'. You may need to do this a few times to get a better result. I tried this, but for me the Auto Spectral Subtraction worked better.

Alex

Good morning,

Thanks for the help Alex. I want to attach two clips but cannot figure out how. They'd be from a show called Parsley Sidings. One clip is including what you suggested Alex, and the other is the same clip without any cleaning. Audioenhancer - any help you could give would also be most welcome. I've tried the method of grabing the section of noise and doing the spectral subtraction, but that only reduced the whole show to barely audible. It's indeed possible that there's nothing that can be done for this, but I'm hoping that by learning how to work on this show will help me with some American OTR shows.

How can I upload these clips?

Thanks!

Mike