Blue screen caused by sound trap driver

hmeinard

I have windows 7 home edition. During the last weeks I have experienced occasional blue screens when watching Netflix - I was not recording any sound with sound trap. Microsoft Answer Desk traced the problem to the NCH driver and recommends to update the NCH driver or delete the software. Any advice on that would be much appreciated.

• 6 months later...

Try This Fix!

BSOD Issue with stdriver64.sys

Here is the fix: the stdriver64.sys is installed by NCH Software. You may not even know it is on your system as it is downloaded and installed with several different sound recording programs. Anyway, go to www.nch.com.au/soundtap/index.html and download the SoundTap Program. It is a small file and it's free... you are going to be uninstalling it anyway. Install the program ignoring ANY errors you may encounter. DO NOT reboot the system. Now, go into control panel and Add Remove Programs or Programs and features and uninstall the SoundTap Program, again ignoring any errors. After it is uninstalled, then reboot the machine. After you reboot, you will see that the stdriver64 (or 32) is no longer in your Windows/system32/drivers folder. This will NOT AFFECT your sound card as it does when you remove or rename the stdriver64.sys file. Installing the program and uninstalling it sets the correct registry setting allowing removal of the file without affecting your system sound. Next you need to go to your registry...go to Start...Run and type "regedit" (without quotes) ensure that your registry is collapsed so you see five "HKEYS"...now just click on and highlight "Computer"...then go to the top and click Edit...then FIND. Type in NCH Software and click "Find Next" Delete the first and any folder that says NCH in it...using the F3 key...go to the next found folder and delete them all. Ensure you delete the entire folder on the left tree and not just the individual keys within the folder. You will probably find 3 to 4 folders....delete all. Again reboot and your BSOD will be solved as it relates to stdriver64.sys.

Source: http://www.w7forums.com/threads/blue-screen-after-sleep-mode.11048/

• 4 months later...

Try This Fix!

BSOD Issue with stdriver64.sys

Here is the fix: the stdriver64.sys is installed by NCH Software. You may not even know it is on your system as it is downloaded and installed with several different sound recording programs. Anyway, go to www.nch.com.au/soundtap/index.html and download the SoundTap Program. It is a small file and it's free... you are going to be uninstalling it anyway. Install the program ignoring ANY errors you may encounter. DO NOT reboot the system. Now, go into control panel and Add Remove Programs or Programs and features and uninstall the SoundTap Program, again ignoring any errors. After it is uninstalled, then reboot the machine. After you reboot, you will see that the stdriver64 (or 32) is no longer in your Windows/system32/drivers folder. This will NOT AFFECT your sound card as it does when you remove or rename the stdriver64.sys file. Installing the program and uninstalling it sets the correct registry setting allowing removal of the file without affecting your system sound. Next you need to go to your registry...go to Start...Run and type "regedit" (without quotes) ensure that your registry is collapsed so you see five "HKEYS"...now just click on and highlight "Computer"...then go to the top and click Edit...then FIND. Type in NCH Software and click "Find Next" Delete the first and any folder that says NCH in it...using the F3 key...go to the next found folder and delete them all. Ensure you delete the entire folder on the left tree and not just the individual keys within the folder. You will probably find 3 to 4 folders....delete all. Again reboot and your BSOD will be solved as it relates to stdriver64.sys.

Source: http://www.w7forums....eep-mode.11048/

GOD SEEEEENNNNNNND!

Thank you. Stdriverx64 was causing a 25% cpu spike whenever I was using audio of any type. Made some games unplayable, DAIII for instance was using 90% - 100%, with all sorts of lagging and freezes, but now without stdriver running in the background, it's going smooth with cpu usage of 65%.

Removing it from system32/drivers stopped my realtek audio, as mentioned above. Installing Soundtap and then uninstalling was perfect. Didn't even need to do the regedit part. Thank you so much for posting this!

Wonder how many other Inquisition players who had similar trouble after patch 2.0 are experiencing lag and freezes due to this. Guess I should post it on Bioware forums.

• 5 months later...

I began experiencing this problem yesterday. I use Debut, not the SoundTap program itself. I was having an audio problem with Debut, and I was sent a different version which apparently requires the STDRIVER64.sys. In the 2 hours I using my video editing software, I had 4 BSOD's. I caught the driver name before it automatically restarted.

SoundTap is not listed in my Programs and Features, nor is it in my Start list.

I also searched the Registry for NCH, Sound Tap (and SoundTap) and even STDRIVER64. The only item which came up was a Registration entry for Debut.

Hi KJS,

Where did you get a version of Debut which requires stdriver64.sys? Debut should use a driver called debutfilterx64.sys.

stdriver should only exist on a system running SoundTap.

Regards,

Ben

• 3 years later...

nchBen, my old Debut 1.64 also includes stdriver64.sys  Just in the past few weeks I have also had BSOD issues, not while using the application, but most every time the PC wakes from sleep. I never had this problem before, so I'm wondering if it is an issue with a Windows 7 update. Must I uninstall Debut, or pay for an upgrade?