So, the free version is trial software now?

defender

Just finished a video and started working on a second one. I worked for about 10 minutes and went to save and got a popup "This is a trial demo version of VideoPad Video Editor Professional for evaluation use only. Please buy the program now to use this feature." The 'feature' is saving. I have had it installed on my machine for approximately one day. Is this intended behavior for v3.24? I have v3.04 on my other machine, and it tells me that the free version of VideoPad is licensed only for non-commercial use, and for me to certify that every time I start up.

The download page lists nothing about this being trial software. What has changed?

I downloaded the latest exe file for the trial version but got a message on clicking the icon that it had already expired......couldn't even open it. Where actually is the latest free non comercial version ??

The link to the allegedly free 3.24 version is here...

http://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/vpsetup.exe

In the past, when the 30-day trial period ended, clicking on UNinstall (in Windows Programs and Features) would offer to regress the program to the free, less full-featured version. Can't say whether that's still the case...

Upon clicking Uninstall for the already regressed trial version, a TrialPay offer appeared. This may be a new marketing stratedgy. For details on what it entails see http://www.trialpay.com/

From what I heard, the "Free version" doesn't 'expire' and lets you do whatever you want, except save the project (you can still edit/add effects/export the video), Never seen this documented anywhere (which is strange IMO). Dunno what trial-pay is, never seen/heard of that, I would be suspicious of it.

Then again I paid for a license, so i dunno what free users get :/ sorry.

From what I heard, the "Free version" doesn't 'expire' and lets you do whatever you want, except save the project (you can still edit/add effects/export the video).

Saving (as VPJ file) appears to be unhampered in the free version. But, non-registered software allows export in only a limited number of formats - AVI and WMV, as I recall.

Hi

Latest version (apparently) is available here... (Pick the free version offer)

http://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/index.html?gclid=CL29_MH5xLsCFWnjwgodVTgAOQ

This is version 3.24. Unlike 3.14, this has loaded OK from the setup.exe file. So I shall see if some of the problems have been solved.

(and BTW, Borate (above) is correct :) )

Nat

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Latest version (apparently) is available here... (Pick the free version offer)

http://www.nchsoftwa...CFWnjwgodVTgAOQ

This is version 3.24. Unlike 3.14, this has loaded OK from the setup.exe file. So I shall see if some of the problems have been solved.

(and BTW, Borate (above) is correct :) )

Nat

How does that work? I don't see a differnce in the files between the paid version and the "free" version?

How does that work? I don't see a differnce in the files between the paid version and the "free" version?

There is no difference in the files. The paid version is a code that activates the remaining features.

As the OP, this was indeed a bug in that I truly could not save my project file. I had to close the program and uninstall/reinstall video pad. Then I could save to my heart's content. I encountered the same problem a week or so later, and again the uninstall/reinstall fixed it.

What are the limitations of the free version?

I installed the current exe over my licensed VP 3.14 and have now an unlicensed 3.24 :s Argh

I tried exporting to MP4 and it worked, so the file type limit must be out-dated. I can also use several layers (tried 4 and exported as mp4).

Whatever, where do I get the 3.14 setup back? I want to keep it save until I may find something locked in the free versin that I need.

What are the limitations of the free version?

As noted above, The non-registered software allows export in only a limited number of formats. There may be other limitations that I don't recall.

Where do I get the 3.14 setup back? I want to keep it save until I may find something locked in the free version that I need.

You can always reinstall 3.14 and input your code.

The fully functional trial version is good for 30 days. After that time, clicking on UNinstall in Programs and Features may offer to revert the program to the "free" version.

But for that I need v3.14. So my question was, where to download?

I see no older versions dl button anywhere.

You should have saved the 3.14 file to disc. From where did you obtain it?

See if you can register 3.24 with the code that you used in 3.14.

No I already tried this. It tells me that the code is for an older version and I could upgrade (for money) to the newer version.

The last exe setup I actually saved is from July last year. That wasn't even v3.10 and thus is missing some fixes I need.

Appears v3.14 is the last version I can use with my code.

I bought VP via Trialpay last year in July.

edit: Via Google all legal websites only offer v3.24... only illegal ones still have 3.14 - but that would be only my last resort choice. I don't want to risk malware.

Edited by Llama

Your safest bet is first to contact NCH customer support. There are reports that some users have had them send the installer for the version they've paid for. It did not sound like an easy process, but it worked for them in the end.

I'm not sure of the turnaround time, but I would see if that works first. Only after that would I get an installer from someone on this forum (if anyone has it) or off a 3rd party site.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a new user and love VideoPad for what I tried so far.

But this has to be the most unclear licensing system I ever seen. Nowhere on the NCH site I was able to find if a free version exists, nor the length of a trial period, or the difference between a paid or free version...

This has to be the most unclear licensing system I ever seen. Nowhere on the NCH site I was able to find if a free version exists, nor the length of a trial period, or the difference between a paid or free version...

Some NCH servers offer both the "regular" and free versions. But as far as I can tell, ANY version is the free version. In 30 days some features will be disabled, such as the ability to EXPORT to other than avi, wmv, asf and DVD formats. Other than that, the "free" version appears to be fully functional. However, there may be other non-working aspects that I have not encountered.

When the program prompts that the trial period has expired, click in Programs and Features to uninstall it. It then should give a choice to revert to the "free' version.

Now, It is possible that thus "free" version option is given upon uninstall only if that version has been installed. It IS confusing. UNinstalling and REinstalling usually will not extend the trial period. NCH knows that ploy.