different categories for one payee

Nettie1950

Moneyline attempts to suggest what a particular payee's category will be, but you can change that in the transaction window. Additionally, if you make one transaction to a payee but you purchased both gas and groceries during that transaction, you can use a split transaction to categorize the single transaction into two categories.

With help from Tech Support, here's the answer: (if this were in HELP, much frustration and wasted time could have been prevented.) Let's say you write a check to XYZ Co. for $6.00: $3.00 to category A, $2.00 to category B, and $1.00 to category C. Start with entering a transaction for the $6.00 total categorized in any of the categories. Let's use "A." Once entered, right click on the line entry in the register and select "Split Transaction" from the list (about half-way down.) So now you can see that elusive "ADD" button, upper left in the box that appears. The first line will show category A, $6.00. Change the amount on that line to $3.00 and enter note, if any. Then click the ADD button. A second line appears. Enter category B, $2.00. Repeat, clicking ADD, entering category C, $1.00. Then click OK. If the sum of your splits doesn't add up to the original amount first entered in the registry, you will be scolded and need to fix it. The single line appearing in the register will now show the $6.00 total categorized as "split." To edit your splits, right click on the transaction as before.

I certainly hope this helps! Judy A

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the split transaction help. I was able to accomplish that with a transaction that had different payees, but I am unable to apply a different category to a payee after a certain category has been assigned. I have to edit the payee name.

ALSO I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO ACCOMPLISH A CLEAN RECONCILIATION.

I'm giving up on this software. I am very unhappy with how difficult it is to use!

I just downloaded the free version of Moneyline and wanted to enter a split transaction. I went to help and did as instructed. Entered the transaction, right clicked went to split transaction clicked on add spilt and it just duplicates the orginal entry and wont let me change it. Any suggestions?