Line across bottom of captured image

Murf Oscar

post-62291-0-50276000-1386378536_thumb.jpg

At the foot of the above image you can see what I will call a 'noise' line running from left to right.

There is no such line in the image displayed on the 3.5 inch screen of my Sony Digital Video Camera Model DCR-TRV310E (PAL).

This camera connects to a PAL TV, and to Debut Video Capture, via A/V cable and jacks (analog). Digital data can also be transferred directly from Hi8 tape via firewire.

Unfortunately this camera was pre-PnP and the hardware card which provided firewire capability under Windows XP will not work under Windows 7 my current operating system. Hence Debut VC to my rescue.

Pretty sure the noise will be overcome with the correct Encoder and Video options, but which ones are best for the PAL environment?

As the captured video will be output to DVD what are the best video and sound settings for this media?

Will appreciate the help of the Forum.

Cheers,

Murf

post-62291-0-08338200-1386378515_thumb.jpg

Subject to some further testing, may have resolved this issue.

Replaying an Hi8 tape with separate input "from the videocam" and "from a VHS tape via a video recorder" confirmed that the latter was responsible for the noise.

This suggests a tracking problem when the VHS tape is being read, but this does not show on the TV when said tape is replayed.

OK, have replayed the tape on the TV with no line at bottom of the screen. However the tape is replaying in 16:9 format; could this be the problem?

Will get back ...

Firstly, reading through the Debut Help file came across the advice that if recording from a camcorder VideoPad is the programme to use. Purchased that programme and learned that under video options there is a slider for removing noise at the top and bottom of the screen.

In practice found the slider writes either black or gray line of width set by the slider from the top down and bottom up of the screen. The maximum width removed all but the last little bit of my problem. Seems I shall have to learn to overcome this distraction.

Incidentally went by the local opportunity shop and picked up a pre-loved VCR for $30. Noise lines still there when recording from it.

Prefer Debut over VideoPad for the reason that Debut allows you to specify the video format of the file being transferred, eg avi. VideoPad offers only mpeg4 on input with conversion to other formats when saving.

Still haven't burned a DVD from either programme, and will get back .... again!

• 1 month later...

I have found the same problem with Debut. However, I am using NTSC not PAL. I don't have, nor wish to purchase, VideoPad because I want to capture at the highest quality available and store as .MOV files, for later editting. I am using the H264 encoding format.

My camcorder is a Samsung SCL901 NTSC Hi8 handheld. I am capturing using a Roxio USB device. I would post a screen shot of the 'noise' but don't see how to do that on this forum.