Uploading a picture as a video to YouTube, screen is black, audio plays fine

ozzyoscy

When I create a video which has just a picture as its image rather than an actual video clip, when I upload it to YouTube, the image doesn't show, the screen is just black, however the audio plays fine.

My last successful 'picture video' was January 2013. I tried to upload one in August 2013, and the screen was black (the image shows for a split-second at the start). I hoped it was a one-off, but I did another one today and uploaded it, and it's happened again. Googling shows someone with the same problem in May 2013, so it would seem something has changed with VideoPad or YouTube between January 2013 and May 2013, and now we have this bug.

I've tried .avi, .wav and .asf, tried a different frame rate and a different resolution, no difference.

The video is fine with other video editors. This is definitely a VideoPad problem.

When I create a video which has just a picture as its image rather than an actual video clip, when I upload it to YouTube, the image doesn't show, the screen is just black, however the audio plays fine.

What uploader is being used? Produce your creation, they try YouTube's uploader.

Hi

If you are using VP version 3.xx then you find there is a bug here....

If your video consists of a single image it will NOT render.

Version 3.xx videopad will ignore the last clip on the sequence line if it is an image. This means if you have just one image on the sequence line it will be ignored.

If you follow this by a second image (or a video clip) then it will render OK and the second image (if it last on the timeline) will be ignored. etc.

For some reason (probably associated with the image count) the last file on the sequence line will be missed off if it is an image.

Video clips work OK though.

The way round this if you are making a slideshow or, as it seems in your case, using a single image is to add a blank frame (black, white nor coloured) to the end of the sequence after your image. You can fade out your image into this. If you add a further blank frame this THIS will be missed off and your your image will fade into the first black frame.

I have mentioned this in previous posts

Nat

Hi

If you are using VP version 3.xx then you find there is a bug here....

If your video consists of a single image it will NOT render.

Version 3.xx videopad will ignore the last clip on the sequence line if it is an image. This means if you have just one image on the sequence line it will be ignored.

That doesn't appear to be the case with 3.10. A single jpg image on the timeline was produced to an AVI file.

Then a .wmv followed by different still image was produced to a WMV file. Both tests rendered all video in Media Player Classic.

Hi

The bug I mention occurs in 3.12 (at least) and does not happen in 2.41 which renders everything OK. Your problem might be the uploader you are using. Try Borate's suggestion. i.e. create your finished film and save to your PC. Check this plays OK and then upload it. If it doesn't ,play on your PC then the fault probably lies with VP.(which I doubt)

Hi Borate. Have you tried the test with 3.12? i.e. two jpgs on the time line (nothing else) rendered to an HD 720 avi. It would be interesting to know know if you find the last image is there or not.

Just checked 3.10. That worked OK as you say.

Just checked 3.11. Loses last jpg

Just checked 3.12. Loses last jpg

Nat

Hi Borate. Have you tried the test with 3.12? i.e. two jpgs on the time line (nothing else) rendered to an HD 720 avi. It would be interesting to know know if you find the last image is there or not.

Just checked 3.10. That worked OK as you say.

Just checked 3.11. Loses last jpg

Just checked 3.12. Loses last jpg

I believe you.^ No, I have stuck with 3.10, as it reportedly is a relatively stable/bug-free release. Chasing incremental fixes is an exercise in frustration, akin to updating video drivers every few weeks. Awaiting a solid non-Beta from NCH that has been purged of regression errors.

Hi

The bug I mention occurs in 3.12 (at least) and does not happen in 2.41 which renders everything OK. Your problem might be the uploader you are using. Try Borate's suggestion. i.e. create your finished film and save to your PC. Check this plays OK and then upload it. If it doesn't ,play on your PC then the fault probably lies with VP.(which I doubt)

I always save movies. Didn't know there was any other way of uploading movies to YouTube. They play fine, except on DIVX Player which can be dodgy, sometimes black sometimes not.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

"What still image format are you using? I have 3.12 and if I use .jpg or .bmp images I don't have this problem."

With version 3.12 and using jpg images, the last item on the timeline, if it is an image, is not rendered.

Same with .tif images

Same with .bmp images

Same with .gif images

Nat