How to export just a few selected seconds in a longer movie ...

pellepiano

Sometimes I would like to check how a part of a movie will turn out when exported. But it takes a lot of time to export the whole movie all the time. How does one select a second or two in the middle and just render them ? ( its to check the sync in detail with sound, and images and transitions ).

It seems like a really great software, as most of it is very intuitive. Like it a lot.

Hi

First save your project.

Now simply choose a section you would like to check on, the length of this is up to you... (you mentioned a second or two)

Set the cursor line to the start of this and click the scissor icon under the right hand preview pane (i.e. cut all the tracks on the sequence)

Select and remove (delete) everything to the left of the cut

Move the cursor along to the end of the section you want to check and cut the sequence again.

Select and remove all the tracks to the right of this cut.

You now have the piece you want to check on.

Export it as a movie to your PC (settings and name are up to you) or create a DVD if you wish. (Use an RW disc <_< )

To get back your original edit position just reload the project you saved at the start.

OR ......More simply......

Save your project and close VP

Re-open VP and load one of your clips/images......choose one just a few seconds long.

Drop it onto the sequence line and then Export it as above to view how you wish.

A clip a few seconds long will only take a minute or two to render to your PC :unsure: (Possibly)....

Longer to a DVD-RW. (Possibly never :huh: .....depending on what VP version you are using :D )

To get back your original edit position just reload the project you saved at the start.

Nat

Sometimes I would like to check how a part of a movie will turn out when exported. But it takes a lot of time to export the whole movie all the time. How does one select a second or two in the middle and just render them?

Using version 3.x, slide the red and blue triangles at the ends of the preview window timeline to select (isolate) the desired portion. Then EXPORT to a file for viewing. Or burn to disk (RW is best, for reuse) if that's your thing.

Hi Borate

Thats even simpler :) ! ....and moreover, you don't have to save or reload the project......just reset the in/out markers after you've tested the output.

I hadn't noticed these as sequence preview in/out markers are not implemented in version 2.41. which I am nore accustomed to using.

(Just wish 3.xxx was faster.)

Nat

• 4 years later...
On 9/26/2013 at 7:20 AM, borate said:

Using version 3.x, slide the red and blue triangles at the ends of the preview window timeline to select (isolate) the desired portion. Then EXPORT to a file for viewing. Or burn to disk (RW is best, for reuse) if that's your thing.

Thanks! At least in version 6.10, to do that you need to go to Sequences tab, select the sequence you want to range-render, set the Start and End marks in the Clip Preview panel, then render as usual.

I love VP!!

Regards

I'm using 6.1 and none of these suggestions appear to meet my needs. I am editing a multi-camera shoot and need to check that a complex piece of cutting in the middle of an hour-plus works as intended. It doesn't render in the Sequence Preview window properly, perhaps because it is more complex than my i7-4790 can handle in real time (even at low res, which is no good to me anyway because I need a full resolution export).

Intuitively, I should be able to highlight a range on the timeline (what else is that blue ribbon for?) and hit something like 'export selected' - but there doesn't appear to be any such option. 

Deleting everything to the left and right isn't easy because it's a complex project. Any help would be appreciated.

I see no blue triangles in the Sequence Preview window, by the way.

To export a selection click the SEQUENCE tab above the bin window.  Click the desired sequence.

In the preview window, drag the scrubber (red line) to the desired start point and click the red START [ button.

Drag it to the end point and click the blue END]  button.  The result will isolate that section of the video on the time line.  Now export.

I must be misunderstanding what you mean when you say "Click the desired sequence". I'm obviously missing a concept somewhere.

This is exactly what I'm doing and seeing:

I click on <file><home><clips><sequence><audio>...

I see the Video Files area upper left, Clip Preview area upper centre, and Sequence Preview area upper right (I have a 4k screen; it's not crowded). Across the bottom of the VideoPad window is the Timeline showing all my tracks, edits, audio etc.

I'm looking at Sequence 1 - the only sequence.

I move what I assume is the scrubber (red line in the Timeline area, which is the only thing that applies to all my tracks) to where I want to start (ignoring the little yellow scissors of course). I click [Start in the Clip Preview window controls, because that's the only place the control appears.

I move the scrubber (red line in the Timeline area) to where I want to end, several seconds and several edits further right. I cannot click ]End because it's greyed out. 

What am I doing wrong?

I appreciate your help. However when I do as described, the  ]End remains greyed out (or, worse, is not visible at all because  the Clip Preview window just shows "No clip selected" as per image above).

I suspect I'm just not grasping a concept here, however I have tried all the ways I can think of to export just a short section - with edits - but all I can find is exporting part of one single clip (as you described) or exporting the whole hour-or-more. 

It appears that you overlooked the initial clicks..  Select the SEQUENCE tab that's just above the media bin.  (Other tabs are VIDEO FILES, AUDIO FILES, IMAGES.)

Then click on the SEQUENCE itself (usually SEQUENCE 1) in the media bin.  Now mark the INS and OUTS, using the scrubber and [ ] buttons, as described earlier.

I have no SEQUENCE tab above the media bin (just Video Files, Audio Files and Images, as seen in the screendump). 

The only occurrences of the word "Sequence" are at the very top (File Edit Clip Track Sequence Video Effects Audio Effects ... Help), on the line below that (File Home Clips Sequence Audio Export Suite) ad immediately above the Timeline (Sequence 1). 

I am using VideoPad Professional v 6.10.

Perhaps a faulty install.  There should definitely be a SEQUENCE tab to the left of VIDEO FILES.  Take the following steps...

In OPTIONS|DISK tab, Clear Unused Cache Files.

Under the menu bar's VIEW menu, click RESTORE DEFAULT LAYOUT.

If no change, UNinstall and reinstall the program.

Report back.

Hi

With your project on the timeline....

• Save your project in case of accidents.
  • Click the Sequence tab on the TOP toolbar
  • Select New Sequence from the menu options.  This will clear the timeline and place a copy of the project in the Sequence bin. The Sequence bin will contain two sequences...Sequence 1 (Your project) and Sequence 2 (A dummy)
  • Open the Sequence bin and left click Sequence 1
  • Open the Clip Preview window
  • Slide the RED bracket on the left end of the thumbnail line to the Start of your selection to export.
  • Slide the BLUE bracket at the right end of the thumbnail line to the End of your selection to export. Your selection to export will be highlighted.
  • Click the PLACE button under the thumbnail line. This will place your selection onto the timeline.
  • Export your selection.

Nat

• 8 months later...

This works and also resolves the issue of VideoPad crashing when exporting:

If you have a lot of tracks VideoPad really struggles and often stops exporting - even says it has completed the job successfully when its no where near done!

So if you can't reduce your tracks here is another option.

•  Click on the Sequences tab - not the one mid left but the one top left (beside Video Files, Audio Files, etc. Its usually called 'Sequences (1)'
  •  Click on the actual sequence (there is usually only one called 'Sequence 1'. It will show in the Clip Preview window
  • Leave the start time as 0:00:00.000 and set the end time to 0:01:00.000
  • Now Export the video - it will export the first 60 seconds only
  • Repeat for 0:01:00.000 to 0:02:00.000 and so on

Now open a new VideoPad project, import all the exports you have just created, stack them next to each other and export them to get your final project. Because you will only have two tracks (I've also tried this by adding a third and fourth track) there doesn't seem to be any issue and I've exported up to 11 minutes which comes out find in HD.

Note you might be able to get away with more than 1 minute exports or you might need to do 30 second exports. It seems very much to depend on how many tracks you have