Can't render 1080p output in versions 3.04 also 3.12

Branner

I used v2.41 a long time ago, but decided to download 3.04 a little while ago and found I cannot export 1080p movies.

Tried every codec I have, updated them all, no luck.

It basically outputs a 1080p sized frame but with information only in the top left corner, about 720p sized at a guess, and the rest is black. The output is not resized, it's just got the right side and bottom missing. Sometimes it puts a flickering inverted something or other in the black section, but it's mostly black.

So 720p is the largest size I can output.

Also tried adding text. No more ability to adjust the start position?? OK, I'll just add some spaces. No, that screws it up and it decides to wrap the text early. Add a '.' before the spaces and it nearly works, but then when you see the results (in 720p) it decides to indent the text past where it was in the preview anyway.

OK, no more ',' how about lots of spaces? Input about 10 and it inverts the entire image! This is permanent. Undo does not fix it. Have to save project, exit, restart, reload, delete text.

Upgraded to 3.12, both the trial and the free version - identical problems (and a shed load more - can't recall them all now)

So, dug out old, old PC, copied v2.41 files from backup disc, overwrote the 3.12 files and Hey presto! now outputs 1080p no problem at all. Yay!

Only problem is it is now as slow as mud at rendering anything.

Anyone else able to render 1080p with 3.12?

I used v2.41 a long time ago, but decided to download 3.04 a little while ago and found I cannot export 1080p movies.

Tried every codec I have, updated them all, no luck.

It basically outputs a 1080p sized frame but with information only in the top left corner, about 720p sized at a guess, and the rest is black. The output is not resized, it's just got the right side and bottom missing. Sometimes it puts a flickering inverted something or other in the black section, but it's mostly black.

So 720p is the largest size I can output.

Testing the Windows video sample - Wildlife.wmv (1280 X 720) by outputting it at Video: MPEG4 Video (H264) 1920x1080 29.97fps 9458kbps [Video 0]

Audio: MP3 44100Hz stereo 320kbps [Audio 1] via Videopad 3.10.

Looked pretty good. One-and-a-quarter inch black bars at right and left, image was centered and larger than the original, as expected.

I didn't have that sample - I'm downloading it now and will test with it - but I'm working with source that is already 1920x1080 - From a GoPro Hero 3. I'll see if the source size affects it. Although I still need to output the same size I put in.

I was working with 60fps video, I'll have to see if conforming it to 30fps first makes a difference, although v2.41 doesn't seem to have a problem with it.

Perhaps you could put your 1080p output file back in and re-export it and see what results you get? Don't have 3.10 and no way to get it that I know of now 3.12 is available, but also had this issue with 3.04, so not sure what else it doesn't like.

Confused by your results. Your source was 16:9 @720p and you exported to an upscaled version 16:9 @1080p and rather than just stretching the entire image you have bars left and right?

Hi

Normally I shoot MPEG4 at 1280 x 720p so loaded a clip into Version 3.10 and outputted an avi as H264 HD1080p

Result played in full screen with VLC vertically central with no side bars. Filled screen side to side. Seemed perfectly correct.

Same with version 3.11

Same with version 3.12

The only difference was the quality of the image. Although acceptable it wasn't as crisp and bright as the original mpeg4 (720) when played in WMP with the Divx codec (whose logo appeared botton right of the screen) or VLC.

On my system the exported avi (1280) wouldn't play with WMP...stopped it responding but was OK in VLC.

Converted to MPEG4 with Any Video Converter, it played in both viewers with reasonable effectiveness but with visible compression artifacts.

Obviously it's better to output with the original resolution rather than a bigger resolution. It takes longer to render and the final result will have no more detail, and probably less.

Nat

Perhaps you could put your 1080p output file back in and re-export it and see what results you get?

Did that, and the result was the same - to my eye.

Confused by your results. Your source was 16:9 @720p and you exported to an upscaled version 16:9 @1080p and rather than just stretching the entire image you have bars left and right?

The bars were due to the media player setting, which had been set to STRETCH TO window. When toggled to NORMAL the 1080p image filled the entire screen.

I appreciate the tests done so far, but does anyone have any GoPro Hero 1920x1080@60fps source to try and output at 60 and 30fps?

Same source for me works on v2.41, just not on 3.04 or 3.12.

Running on a quad proecessor XP machine, don't know if that's a factor, as 2.41 only seems to use one processor which is why it is slower to render.

Hi Branner

The text problem of faulty formatting is common to all the 3.xx versions. The three line text box has been enlarged in 3.11 but you can't really indent your text from the left justified positions, except by adding a character to the start of the text like a ".", even then it will jump to the next line in the preview depending on character size and line length.

If you have a second longer line of text under the first, then you can add a limited number of spaces to start of the top line to move the text along a little on that line but the output on the preview does not always resemble the layout in the text box as at some point new lines will appear in the preview that don't exist in the text box.

Essentially the left or right text positions are justified as a matter of course.

If you choose the central positions then the text is centrally justified and the lines are arranged each side of the centre but the text window is left justified which can be confusing.

Further, if you try to insert characters then the output can really get messed up.

NCH know about this and are apparently correcting it in the next version.

Nat