Trouble holding a note while playing other notes in a bar.

Hi. I want to get some help on how to hold a note while playing other notes on the same staff. I am using 4:4 timing and on my Treble Clef I have 8 x 1/8 notes and on my Bass Clef I have a whole note at the start of the bar and a 1/8 rest, a 1/8 note and a 3/4 note. When I play back the music my Treble plays fine but the Bass plays the whole note and doesn't play my 1/8 or 3/4 notes UNTIL the Treble has finished playing instead of holding the whole note WHILST playing the other 2 notes. I am able to get around this by adding another staff and placing the whole note there by itself but I am up to 4 staffs per bar now and its taking up a lot of space. Is there an easier way to do this?

Hi nightflier,

This should be done with a second voice on the same staff. However Crescendo is not supporting multi-voices for the moment as it still under developing.

If you do not care about the printing result so much and just want to get the sound right, there is a way to do it without adding new staff:

1. Divide the full note into 1/8, 1/8 and 3/4 note.

2. Make them into chords with the other notes or replace the rest.

3. Tie the note you want to hold on each chord. Please note that notes in a chord can be tied individually.

Hope this helps.

• 11 months later...

Hi. Is there any progress yet on the idea of a second voice on each staff? I play piano and would love to see this implemented in Crescendo. Is it coming soon? Your software is so easy use. I cringe at the thought of having to invest time in learning someone else's software and having to put up with their slow and painful way of getting the job done. I've tried working around this in Crescendo, and it just makes a mess no matter what I try. Using extra staffs is not an option, because I am trying to condense the music to reduce the number of sheets of music to have to work with.

• 1 year later...

Hi. I want to get some help on how to hold a note while playing other notes on the same staff. I am using 4:4 timing and on my Treble Clef I have 8 x 1/8 notes and on my Bass Clef I have a whole note at the start of the bar and a 1/8 rest, a 1/8 note and a 3/4 note. When I play back the music my Treble plays fine but the Bass plays the whole note and doesn't play my 1/8 or 3/4 notes UNTIL the Treble has finished playing instead of holding the whole note WHILST playing the other 2 notes. I am able to get around this by adding another staff and placing the whole note there by itself but I am up to 4 staffs per bar now and its taking up a lot of space. Is there an easier way to do this

Being new to this forum I was surfing the topics and came across this. You probably already have figured this out, but your whole note on the bass clef has the same count as the 8 quarter notes on the treble clef. This means that the additional notes on the bass clef will only play after the eight notes on the treble clef. (You have a 4 count in your treble clef and you are trying to add an 8 count to your bass clef)

You would have to add the extra bass notes into an additional bar and add another whole note in the bar above them and tie this new whole note to the previous one.

Hi all,

The latest edition of Crescendo includes the ability to have multiple voices for each staff. This feature is currently only accessible via the menu bar, but is being added to the right click menu for the next release. To access the menu bar you need to make sure the menu bar is showing by clicking on the small arrow at the top right hand side of the window.

Regards

Ben