Inserting Sequences from the Sequences Bin results in poor output quality

jr0dy

I just started using VideoPad a couple months ago and love it. However, I've run into a bit of a problem.

I was having trouble with convenient object selection (I wish it had more track selection options like Premiere, i.e. the ability to select all items on a single track) so to avoid those issues I decided to split up my most recent project into separate sequences. I did this because I noticed each sequence showed up as a media clip available for insertion in the timeline, so I created one "Master" sequence and dropped each of the respective Sequences onto the Master sequence sequentially.

This seemed to work fine, however the output quality is terrible, across multiple formats and resolutions. I've read other posts which recommend outputting each sequence then combining them, but that seems like such a hassle when it would appear the program has this ability built-in. Is this not the intended use of the items in the Sequences bin, or am I missing something which would allow me to render each sequence (and in turn, my master sequence) at a higher output quality?

I just started using VideoPad a couple months ago <snip> (I wish it had more track selection options like Premiere, i.e. the ability to select all items on a single track)

All clips on a track can be simultaneously selected; hold down the <ctrl> key while clicking each. Or click the first clip, then hold down <shift> and click the last clip.

Right-click to group or ungroup clips.

So I created one "Master" sequence and dropped each of the respective sequences onto the Master sequence sequentially, however the output quality is terrible across multiple formats and resolutions.

I dropped a clip onto sequence one. Then I added sequence two and placed sequence one on its timeline. Both were exported, and the files were the same size...

BUT sequence two was indeed inferior in quality, at least to my eye.

I use CTRL+Click to select multiple segments, but it's very inconvenient when I have to select 50+ individual clip segments just to shift them to the right by a few seconds to insert a new clip. Adobe Premiere has an option which selects all segments on all tracks, but only starting at the clicked position and to the right (so it makes it very easy to select all the contents if you just need to shift them forward a few seconds).

Right now I'm using CTRL+Click to select, copy, and paste the contents of each sequence into yet another one; however, when I group clips the grouping does not appear to be preserved across a Copy/Paste, and either way (whether grouped or not) when I paste multiple clips, they never remain together - they always spread themselves out for some reason. A couple of times it actually reordered the clips, which seems to be as a result of the order in which I clicked to select them while holding CTRL.

Anyway, I hope NCH investigates as to why Sequences render/export poorly when inserted as a clip into another sequence - because I really liked that editing approach and would find it very convenient to continue editing that way on future projects.

I use CTRL+Click to select multiple segments, but it's very inconvenient when I have to select 50+ individual clip segments just to shift them to the right by a few seconds to insert a new clip.

Clicking on the first desired clip (wherever it may fall in the timeline), then holding down <shift> and clicking the last one that you want will select all clips between those two. At least that what it does here.

You might then scoot the selected clips to the right or drag them up to create a track two. Additional footage can be added to those already on the first track, if you wish.

If you want to move track two clips back to track one after the new material, just be sure the gap is big enough - by shifting the remaining clips to the right. Or you may overwrite some material.

Lastly, right-click and CLOSE GAP.

Note that clips from other projects can be added to the existing timeline via CLIP|IMPORT CLIPS FROM ANOTHER PROJECT. Each project will be a .vpj file.

You can also isolate a portion of a sequence, using the sequence preview window, by dragging the red arrow to the right and the blue one to the left. (The arrows are on the green bar below the thumbnails/timecode.)

Then, to the right of the camera icon, click the blue film icon. That will duplicate only the segment that you isolated as "sequence 1 (1)."

If someone already pointed this out then my apologies, but as long as you add scenes as overlays, you can have as many video tracks as you want. The Opacity control will determine what kind of scene it is.

• 2 weeks later...

What is the intended use scenario(s) of the "Sequences" clips which appear in the media bin on the Sequences tab?

One could create multiple sequences, each containing a specific arrangement of clips on the timeline - perhaps to compare how scenes will flow when edited in various ways.

Or sequences can be used to build a project incrementally, without having to save each increment. Timeline clips can be copied - <ctrl-c> - and pasted - <ctrl-v> - between sequences.

After several sequences are built, SAVE PROJECT AS (a .vpj file), but don't produce (export) it.

Later, when the project is restored, all sequences will load. Choose the best of them or continue to improve the project. Then produce (export) the finished work of art.

Borate,

Thanks for the response - so it sounds like actually placing the Sequence "clips" on the timeline would only be for rough cuts and evaluating different scene edit options against one another in-program (as part of a preview, etc.)?

I guess I'm just disappointed that I can't get a full quality export using them in the following way:

- Create a single VPJ project with multiple sequences

- Dedicate each sequence to a different scene

- Create a "Master" sequence in which I drop in each of the Sequence clips to form the whole

- Export the "Master" sequence as my finished product (at an acceptable quality level - currently this is the piece that doesn't work)