Fade in?

Mediterranean

Hi, I'm new. Sorry if this topic has been covered before, I'm been looking for it unsuccessfully. My question is simple: How can I add a fade in effect to a video on Videopad, just like on Windows Movie Maker? I mean making the video start with a black screen and gradually turn into the actual video. It seems to me like this is a pretty basic thing, but I don't know how to do it on Videopad... :unsure: Thanks.

Hi

Simply insert a blank, black frame to the start of your film and then add a crossfade effect.

Steps to follow are:-

Depending on the choice you have set up under "Options"/"Other" you can set up to have the inserted clip (any clip in fact) placed at the start of the timeline, the end of the timeline, the cursor position or prompt you as to where you would like it to be placed. It might be best to have this set routinely to "Ask me"

If you also click the little down arrow to the right of the "Insert Blank" button, you can choose the colour of the inserted blank clip.It does not have to be just black or white.

Now,if you already have your film on the timeline, left click the tab on the toolbar labelled "Insert Blank"

You will be prompted where. Select "Beginning of the timeline"

Now left click "OK"

A blank, black clip will be inserted at the start of your film. If you haven't altered the default length of this under the "Options" tab it will have a duration of 5 seconds.

If not already in "Storyboard mode" right click the down arrow in the window marked "Sequence style" to select it.

Between your blank clip and your film clip (now shown as two images) you will see a blue square with lines across it. This is the transition marker.Left click this to open up the transition pane.

Left click the "Crossfade" transition.

Enter the duration you require for this effect and then "Apply"

The transition indicator will change to show the type of effect applied along with the duration you have selected.

Once the program has completed the installation of the selected effect as shown by the yellow progress bar above the transition marker, you can preview your film in the right hand window pane.

You should see you film fade in from the black, inserted clip.

You can alter the duration of the effect and the duration of the blank clip to suit.

Hope this helps

Nat

• 4 weeks later...

I'm using the 3.0 beta and am also having touble with my fade out. I want to do a long fade out to blank black. Like 10 secs. My clip is 15 secs. As soon as I hit the crossfade transition the image just stops. The crossfade continues but my clip is stopped.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Hi

Don't use the crossfade effect for this. As I explained in another post, the clip will fade up to the point of the joint and then freeze and fade out the last frame over the next clip as a still image whilst the next clip fades in. If you crossfade to a black clip then all you will see is a still image fading out for the remainder of the crossfade.

With your clip on the sequence line, click the effects button on your clip, (or activate the clip and click "effects") and add a "fade" effect lasting 10 seconds.

If this seems too short when played, then add a blank, black frame to the end of the sequence and use a fade effect for, say,20 seconds. This will give about 10 seconds of fade out at the end of your clip. You will need to experiment a bit with these times to get exactly the effect you want.

Nat

• 3 years later...

All of which makes almost no sense and is probably, as is the case with nearly everything, for an older version of videopad than 4.4. Also, there is NOTHING ANYWHERE about how to fade between parts within an existing video. This is only for, essentially, starting fromn scratch and making a whole new video.;.

Best to start a new thread. But now that we are here...

Effects (including crossfade) are normally applied where clips abut - to effect from one to the other.

An effect within an existing clip could be made by first creating a split point inside the clip, then applying an effect at that split.

With a non-linear (NL) editor, such as Videopad, there's never a need to start over. One might think of it as a word processor for video/audio.

On the old and bad movie maker I remember I could do fade in there without inserting blanks. It would be just super useful and practical to have fade in without the need of doing tricks.

But so far I have been doing exactly that, to black fade insert a blank screen, to white fade insert a white screen. Don't go cross-fading because it wouldn't be to ''black'' or ''white'' all you gonna have is the image above the other if you time it correctly or it could freeze during the time of its animation.

In recent VP versions, FADE IN is readily available from within the clip without resorting to tricks.

I totally forgot to see the AGE of this topic. Didn't saw that a feature yet, but you know my case and thanks to understand it friend

I will be more careful too

• 1 year later...

I see you mention that in the recent VP version, there is a fade in option available without having to insert a blank clip. I bought my VP in January of 2017, and I don't see such an option.

I have the 4.58 version. I've seen mention of version 5.0 - when did that come out?

well, i just downloaded it, and opened it, and there is no change in any of the features - except that now it says it's version 5.02.

there are only 5 options for fades in the transitions menu, same as before, with no fade in.

any suggestions? 

Hi

The Transition fades are designed to work between clips, So if you have a single clip and you apply, for example a crossfade transition it will fade-out and then stop as there is no joining clip to fade-in into.This is the same for other transitions. They work at the end of a clip and into the next clip. Obviously if you have only a single clip and you want to do a fade-in using a transition,you need to add a blank before that clip and add a Cross fade to it. If you make the blank 1 sec duration and the crossfade 2 seconds and then select to not move the clips, your video will nicely fade in for two seconds.

If you want to fade in a clip and dont want to use a blank then you can do it using a Transparency effect. Click the FX button and select Transparency.

• Extend the keyframe panel
  • Check that the effects red cursor is at the start of the clip
  • Set Opacity slider to 0% (Clip becomes transparent)
  • Set a keyframe by clicking the small green cross top left of the keyframe panel.
  • Move the red cursor along for the required fade-in duration. (e.g. 2-3 seconds)
  • Now slide Opacity along to 100% (clip becomes visible again)

Your keyframe pane will look like this.....

HBBdA.jpg

Your video will now fade-in when you play it. You can easily adjust the duration of your fade-in by moving the top blue maker to the right or left. Fade-outs are done in the same way (on the same screen  .. by clicking the opacity line to create a new point and then dragging it to a different position.)

Nat

• 3 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 7:41 PM, borate said:

Look at the top-left corner of the first clip on the timeline.  Click the  fade symbol.  VP_fade.JPG

I'm having the same problem.  Sorry, I don't see a fade symbol in the top left corner of the first clip on the timeline....

I have multiple clips together and am trying to fade in AND out AND in......

I can fade Out of each clip just fine, but would like to fade into the next instead of Fade Out and the BAM next clip pops up....wanting smooth fade out, smoot fade in... rhythm on both ends

I have the 5.04 version....   have looked and looked for a fade symbol....   Don't see one.  Also you Fade symbol .jpg doesn't show what it looks like in the quote.  Just a black box X

Sorry if I'm overlooking but I'm about 30 minutes into just looking for this Fade In approach.  I don't want to insert a blank segment between each file and that graph thing is beyond me

I'm actually looking to Crossfade Out / Crossfade IN / Crossfade Out / Crossfade IN.....

The Out is easy and smooth, but there is no 'IN'......just BAM, pops up after the very short blackness following the Crossfade Out

thanks

well I actually figured out the fade in part even though I couldn't find the symbol

turns out that when I was placing a clip right beside another clip on the same video track, that there was an ever so slight tiny hairline gap between the two.....not even noticeable.  It wasn't allowing the small transition square to 'straddle' both clips.

I now know that when I'm bringing in a clip to place beside another, the I can overlap to the left and it will 'kick it back' and align it perfectly...

Hi

You added to a really old thread. probably would have been better to start a new one...;)

Anyway...  " well I actually figured out the fade in part even though I couldn't find the symbol "

The First clip on the timeline has a Fade-in option..

.gxM7g.jpg

The ones that follow don't unless you have a gap between the clips. Deleting the gap or dragging clips together will eliminate the fade-in box (they will attract each other if close enough as you have found.)  Once in contact the Fade  transition can be used or the Transparency effect can be used if the effect is to be used on only one of the clips.

Tiny gaps left between clips may be almost invisible but if you scroll in with the mouse wheel or use the zoom you will often be able to see them. A tiny gap  can be difficult to select however but if you go into storyboard mode the gap, no matter how small will always be revealed as it will appear as a complete  thumbnail with the duration marked on it.

gHwVB.jpg

It's easy to grab and close in this format.

Nat

• 2 years later...