Express Scribe Pro will not play DS2 files

Rowena

I have been using Express Scribe the free version for 4 years without a problem. Recenly I have received DS2 files that I need to play, but will not play. I went to the help website and was told that the Pro version will play DS2 files once I activate and register which I have done. It still will not play the DS2 files. I also downloaded all of the codec etc the website recommended without resolution. Then in a desparate attempt I downloaded the free switch file converter, but even that will not convert them. I tried to call the tech support as I am now using a pay version, but the recording requires a code which I do not have so I cannot get to a live person for help. I cannot even seem to find a place to email for tech support. I only purchased the pro so that I could play the DS2 files and I am in a hurry to meet a deadline. If it will not work I would like a refund. I would appreciate any help on this matter as soon as possible.

• 1 month later...

Express Scribe Pro keeps cutting off the audio in my DS2 files! It is maddening that NCH is IGNORING the problem and failing to provide a solution, but they keep advertising that their software works with DS2 files! It only works randomly, seems to me it only works with very short, small dictation files. I do not make much money at my transcription work and this problem crippled me last Friday, and I wasted all of yesterday trying to download "converters" to find a work around solution. Now I am having trouble getting all the "junk" off my computer that came with the downloads to try and fix the problem, I uninstalled the Pro trial version, and now lost the use of my foot pedal.

NCH offers no technical support and is really failing its customers. I used to brag about Express Scribe and wholeheartedly recommend it to all of the law firms I associate with -- but no more. I may be at the bottom of the customer chain but I can assure you that many of the professionals who bought the dictation equipment/software will jump ship if their transcribers have these types of issues.

THE ES PRO DS2 ISSUE NEEDS TO BE FIXED!

• 3 months later...

As was mentioned in the other thread about this the other day, DS2 is a proprietary Olympus format. Olympus will not release any specs about this format, nor will they license it to anyone. This is being worked on and it will be released as soon as possible. The DSS Standard Player software that comes with those dictation devices is capable of converting the files successfully, ( http://www.dictationsupport.co.uk/converting-ds2-to-dss-with-olympus-standard/ ).

Perhaps try contacting Olympus and ask them to open up the format.

I run a transcription company and had all my transcriptionists purchase the Pro version because of the false advertising that ES now supports DS2 files. And obviously no one at NCH cares as there are no responses from them here!!!!

• 2 years later...

Hallo N_C_H_Parsons,

As was mentioned in the other thread about this the other day, DS2 is a proprietary Olympus format. Olympus will not release any specs about this format, nor will they license it to anyone.

Interestingly, there is "not olympus software" on the market which is able to play ds2 files, like:

• Bytescribe WavPlayer
  • Devacon ProPlayer
  • GearPlayer

The DSS Standard Player software that comes with those dictation devices is capable of converting the files successfully, ( http://www.dictation...ympus-standard/ ).Perhaps try contacting Olympus and ask them to open up the format.

If I have to buy the Olympus DSS Player Standard Software then of course I can use it to transcribe.

Please also have a look at this thread: http://nch.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/21922-format-is-not-supported-by-express-scribe/#entry51596

for my arguments.

To NCH Software: Use the (worldwide) corner on the market and give us a ds2 support for Express Scribe or for Switch or both!!!

With best regards

Lisa

• 1 year later...

Is it FALSE advertising to say that Express Scribe "now supports ds2 files" when clearly there are a lot of problems.  Stop advertising that it works for ds2 files.  IT DOES NOT.   I've spent nearly an entire day of my life trying to get the software to work and get my work done in a timely manner.  (It either won't load the file -- just sits there trying to load the file until it crashes, then the counter flickers and no sound comes out when it does finally load, but never works).  Codec installation does not help.  This is a nightmare.  Do you need $20-$50 USD from a low level, low paid typist that you have to deceive them into buying your software and cause them to lose what little income they make by investing precious time trying to find a "solution" for your bad product?  I am thoroughly disgusted.  And to tell me to buy another software to convert the files?  No, how about you do the right thing and either make the software work, or give the paid customer the conversion software (Switch) for free, or just give me my money back.   The internet is full of scam... is this "Works with DS2" just another one?

Edited by Michigan
incorrect word used