Link sound tracks to Video Track

pixer

Hi all

What a super program VideoPad is but I have a problem with it! I have a video clip and the sound is out of synch. Ok unlink video sound and transfer it to sound track 1, move sound track 1 clip to match video time and problem solved, back in synch. Insert new video clip in front of video clip already on video Track and of course video clip moves up the timeline but Audio track 1 does not. So now audio track 1 wayout. Is there any way of locking an audio track to the video track like you can with the Overlay Track? I suppose a work around would be to synch up the audio and video and save as a new video then add it as new media in new project. This means you have finalise all you editing for that particular clip before inserting it in a film and I would like more freedom than that. Anybody got any thoughts on this one? Is there a manual that would help as the help files are quite sparse?

Many thanks

Hi

You can't link a sound track to the video so they move together. Only the linked audio track will move. Consequently, as you have found, the sound track will not move along if you add a new clip to the sequence to the left of the clip already there, only the clips with their audio will move.

Your solution is probably the best way around this although its a bit time consuming.

The answer really is to edit in the normal way by adding your clips in order to the right hand end of the timeline. If you have to add them anywhere else there will be no problem if the audio remains linked to the video but once you have unlinked sections so they appear on a sound track lower down they will remain independant.

If you have to move any of them in response to adding clips earlier in the sequence, them it must be done one at a time as, unfortunately you can't link these together horizontally either and move them en masse which would be very useful as it would retain any spacing there might be between them.

As you have to unlink your sound to restore the synchronisation, one obvious question remains and that is why is the sound out of synch with the video in the first place?

Is it just a one off or are all your clips out of synch?

Nat

Thanks for the response. To answer the question why was the clip out of synch the answer is I don't know. The clip was not one of mine, they are all fine in synch. It was supplied by someone else! Perhaps it was a codec problem. Although I really like the intuitive feel of VideoPad I am already finding some of its limitataions. Is it that difficult to make the sound tracks lockable, to the main video track, if rquired? VideoPad has taught me a lot about simple video edits but now I think I will have to try to find (and learn) a more complex video editor. Perhaps I am asking to much of VideoPad. I want to do some Insert edits and I can't find a way of doing that in VideoPad. Many thanks for your help.

I have a quite similar problem, just from the start, when I bought the software. ALL my clips, taken with a Sanyo Xacti in full HD and H.264 are, after stabilizing with the excellent deshaker inside Video Pad (which was the very reason, I bought it!) out of sync.

Soundtrack starts after stabilizing with 2-3 sec delay, and also ends 2-3 sec before the end of the clip. I asked support, they only told me, to update the codecs, which I did, but with no success in the result.

Any ideas, what could solve the problem?

Thx, Axel

Thanks for the response. To answer the question why was the clip out of synch the answer is I don't know. The clip was not one of mine, they are all fine in synch. It was supplied by someone else! Perhaps it was a codec problem. Although I really like the intuitive feel of VideoPad I am already finding some of its limitataions. Is it that difficult to make the sound tracks lockable, to the main video track, if rquired? VideoPad has taught me a lot about simple video edits but now I think I will have to try to find (and learn) a more complex video editor. Perhaps I am asking to much of VideoPad. I want to do some Insert edits and I can't find a way of doing that in VideoPad. Many thanks for your help.

Hi Aerotekt

Are you sure that your clips are in synch BEFORE you stabilized them. I am afraid that all my clips shot in MPEG4 HD H.264 run with the image progressively lagging behind the sound. (i.e the sound finishes before the image does by several seconds depending on the length of the clip.)

If I convert my clips to MPEG2 then they play OK.

Nat

Hi Nat,

affirmative, if I just import the clip into VideoPad, it is absolutely in sync. If I do so in Media Player Classic, or even in Corel Video Studio, it´s absolutely in sync.

But I will try converting into MPEG2, thx meanwhile!

Cheers, Axel

Hi Aerotekt

Are you sure that your clips are in synch BEFORE you stabilized them. I am afraid that all my clips shot in MPEG4 HD H.264 run with the image progressively lagging behind the sound. (i.e the sound finishes before the image does by several seconds depending on the length of the clip.)

If I convert my clips to MPEG2 then they play OK.

Nat

• 4 years later...

Took me 30 minutes to create and account just to answer this question.

Anyway, the solution is that in the timeline, do you see the clips? Yes? Now go to the left, there should be a square box that says FX. Now go below that, is your audio clip for the VIDEO, not for what you're trying to link to the video. Okay, so, on the right of the FX for the AUDIO, there's that speaker icon thingy. On the right of it, there's a chain link thingy. Click on it, and your audio from the video clip should detach. Now delete the audio clip that's under your video clip, and pull your destined audio clip and link to the video.

If you're too lazy to read all these crap, here's some short words: Click the link icon in the audio section, delete that audio clip, and drag your own audio clip to substitute that place.

If you're too lazy to read any crap, and question why the hell is it not working, here's maybe a logical answer: Because there's already another clip under the damn video, and you have to delete that (unlink it from the video first, of course) to be able to drag your audio clip there. Done, that's my damn 2 cents.

Feel free to add me @ Steam (ID is vinhimmortalblade) or @ League of Legends (IGN is VinhBlade) holy crap it's 3 AM I better sleep

Hi VB

"If you're too lazy to read all these crap, here's some short words: "

Perhaps if you note the date of the original post (2012) you may realize that all the "crap" you are referring to was relevant with the version of VP being used at that time. (Probably VP2.4xx or similar) and so was my reply.. Some of the prompts and capabilities you are talking about were not added until much later.

Things have moved on since 2012. :)

Nat