Problem with some sound files (DS2, DSS, WMA)

bridiej

I've been using Express Scribe for about a year now and have recently upgraded to the paid Pro version.

However, I have some ongoing issues with some sound files that are still not resolved in the Pro version:

1. DS2 files - some files will play quite happily for a few minutes, then the sound cuts out. Yet when I play them on another piece of transcription software they're fine. (I prefer to use ES as I find it easier to work with than the alternative I have for DS2 files!).

2. DSS files - I have one client in particular who sends me batches of DSS files and, more often that not, there'll be one file in the batch that doesn't show up on the list when I load them into ES - it's just not available from the list of files, but all the others are.

3. WMA files - a new client sends me WMA fles which don't appear as "available" when I go to load them into ES.

I wondered if anyone else has similar problems? Thankfully I do have back-up software, but I find ES the most practical to use and would prefer to use it for all my audio transcription...

• 4 weeks later...

HI Bridie

Are you still having the same problem? It is happening to me too. Like you, I have another (less preferred) programme I can use when at home, but unfortunately I don't have that backup option on my laptop, so when travelling I am in big trouble! I intend to take more note in future, but I THINK in the past when this has happened there has been a click in the recording at the time that the sound disappears, so I wonder if that is the problem? I used to have a similar problem with one client who recorded in DSS but his recorder would click and the file would not load beyond that point. He has purchased a new recorder, and thankfully did NOT go with Olympus this time - so I won't have the DS2 problem with him.

I've been using Express Scribe for about a year now and have recently upgraded to the paid Pro version.

However, I have some ongoing issues with some sound files that are still not resolved in the Pro version:

1. DS2 files - some files will play quite happily for a few minutes, then the sound cuts out. Yet when I play them on another piece of transcription software they're fine. (I prefer to use ES as I find it easier to work with than the alternative I have for DS2 files!).

2. DSS files - I have one client in particular who sends me batches of DSS files and, more often that not, there'll be one file in the batch that doesn't show up on the list when I load them into ES - it's just not available from the list of files, but all the others are.

3. WMA files - a new client sends me WMA fles which don't appear as "available" when I go to load them into ES.

I wondered if anyone else has similar problems? Thankfully I do have back-up software, but I find ES the most practical to use and would prefer to use it for all my audio transcription...

Yes, with the DS2 I get the click and then nothing, yet in another player it's fine and no click!

I have actually gone back to using other programs for most of my transcription as I'm fed up with all the bugs in ES - particularly when I paid for the Pro upgrade!!

There can be various problems with proprietary formats like DSS(Olympus) and DVF (Sony), but the easiest fix for this is to get NCH's Switch sound file converter. Yes you have to pay for it, if you want to convert Olympus or Sony, or Windows Media files, but as far as I know, NCH is unique in being the only company to include these in its transcription and conversion software.

In the meantime, you can do a quick check to see if, when Scribe loaded the files in question, whether the wav file in Application Data pathway shows up. That's

C:\Users\[yourname]\AppData\Roaming\NCH Swift Sound\Scribe\Current (I'm using Vista, but Windows is probably not too different). If the full wav file is there, just load and transcribe that. --KRN

Same problem here. DS2 files start playing correctly, but beginning at an insertion or overwrite point the rest of the file suddenly is blank, although the DS2 file is totally ok and can be played in any standard DS2 player. The temporary .wav file in the AppData directory is (accordingly) half empty too. The bug is reproduceable on several platforms. :-(

• 8 months later...

... but the easiest fix for this is to get NCH's Switch sound file converter.

No, it does not eliminate this problem! I have tried the NCH's Switch. By converting such an DS2 file using NCH Switch the same bug results! I have described my experiences with this effect here:

Bug by importing DS2 files

I have found this workaround: converting the DS2 file by using this DSS File Converter:

DSS File Converter

With best regards

Nora Richter (aka Lisa)