CANON A90 CAMERA VIDEO FILE

Mermina

Unfortunately, I have ONE video of my husband who recently fell off a ladder, had internal bleeding that couldn't be stopped and has passed away. I have downloaded that video from the camera to my WINDOWS XP. The file had a strange sequence of letters and numbers and I renamed it to something I would easily remember,{JOHN VIDEO }. The file does not have an extension. I have renamed the file JOHN VIDEO.avi, as someone had suggested. This was of no value. When I attempt to play the video, the Windows Media Player claims it does not recognize the codec used to compress the file. Does anyone out there have the knowledge to explain to me what I must do in order to view this video? Is there something I must purchase ? His two children are anxious to see it. I greatly appreciate your advice. Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I have ONE video of my husband who recently fell off a ladder, had internal bleeding that couldn't be stopped and has passed away. I have downloaded that video from the camera to my WINDOWS XP. The file had a strange sequence of letters and numbers and I renamed it to something I would easily remember,{JOHN VIDEO }. The file does not have an extension. I have renamed the file JOHN VIDEO.avi, as someone had suggested. This was of no value. When I attempt to play the video, the Windows Media Player claims it does not recognize the codec used to compress the file. Does anyone out there have the knowledge to explain to me what I must do in order to view this video? Is there something I must purchase ? His two children are anxious to see it. I greatly appreciate your advice. Thank you.

There is a program called VideoLAN that's free, that plays almost anything. It's pretty popular. Do a Google search and you'll find a web-site that you can download it from. Install it and run the program and then drag the file into the window. If it's a video file, it will probably play it. You still might not know what extention to give it, though.

It may not be a video file, but a compressed file like a ".zip" file. If you search, download and install the freeware version of WinRAR and give the video a .zip or .rar extention and double-click it, WinRAR might recognize it.

Another option is to just ask your question in Google.com like, "Lost extention to a video file" or "reccover video file extention" which may bring up some sites that could offer help.

There is also Videohelp.com where you can get a wealth of help.

Your file probably is a video file that has not been compressed, so that venue is less promising (video is already quite compressed, so there is little value of anyone availing themselves of compression). In a neafarous note, did someone compress the file anyway remove the extention on purpose in order to hide the purpose of the fil?

These are just ideas you might want to follow. Hope something works out.

OldMartian

Dear Old Martian,

Thank you for spending time responding to my video problem.

I shall make attempts re your suggestions

with great hopes that we shall be able to view the video.

Thank you again for your input.

Am sincerely hoping something will work.

Many thanks.