Tascam US-800 SETUP

BluzMaster

Using XP, Realtek Audio and Tascam US-800 Interface.

US-800 is getting plenty of signal. But Golden Records is not seeing it.

I cannot for the life of me get any signal into Golden Records. There has got to be a way to properly configure using an interface.

When I hit "Record", it starts "Recording", but there is 0 signal.

I really wanted to take advantage of the "Buy Right Away" offer, but its's now been over 24 hours with no proof that this thing will actually work properly w/ my setup. Too bad for me...

I've tried noise floor at 0, US-800 as "Recording Device", but I just can't seem to hit on the right combo.

HELP!

Please help prevent another needless suicide!

Please don't commit suicide, BluzMaster! No software is worth that. I have been using GR for almost two years and I have had great success with the Behringer UCA202 converter device: http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UCA202.aspx

From the sounds of things, you have some kind of configuration issue - something is not wired as it should be. When you are in the setup wizard, if you don't see those green bars moving when you are inputting a signal, something is not right. You haven't told us how you are connecting things. I am also wondering if, in the Windows Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, you have made the Tascam your default input audio device. If you haven't, that might be your problem - Windows is ignoring your Tascam.

As you can see from the very little activity on this forum, Golden Records seems to work very well for a wide variety of users. No complaints and little activity here is very different from the other forums that I haunt (Acronis, Cyberlink, etc.).

So we need to figure out what little tweak is needed to get you in business. More information would help us to help you and should help to prevent a needless suicide! :rolleyes:

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Thanks, Phil -

I'll go through things s-l-o-w-l-y and carefully when I get home this p.m.

If I don't get anywhere, I'll note and post details of my present misconfiguration.

I appreciate the response.

(I guess the big sleep is gonna' have to wait)

US-800 connected via USB. US-800 set as default input device.

Tape playback into US-800 is AOK. US-800 showing-up as an option for "Input Device" means computer is seeing US-800 (because w/o US-800 turned on, it's not an option).

I don't know where to turn.

US-800 connected via USB. US-800 set as default input device.

Tape playback into US-800 is AOK. US-800 showing-up as an option for "Input Device" means computer is seeing US-800 (because w/o US-800 turned on, it's not an option).

I don't know where to turn.

I am at a loss as well. You could check the Properties of your Tascam to ensure that the Sound Level is not muted. If you could somehow determine whether the Tascam is actually outputting a measurable audio signal that would enable us to determine whether it is Golden Records that is not detecting the signal or whether the problem is with the Tascam or its configuration on your computer. Sorry I can't be of any more help - I am unfamiliar with the Tascam US800.

Regards,

-Phil

This seems odd:

Recording Volume Calibration:

Scenario 1.

In Golden Records:

“Record Device” set to either “US-800” or “Default Sound In”

“Sound Input Channel” Shows just 2 choices: "Windows Record Mixer“ or “Microphone”

(Is this right?)

Selected “WINDOWS RECORD MIXER”

“Recording Volume Level” choose “Open Windows Record Mixer”

Clicking on “Open Windows Record Mixer” results in “There is a problem with your sound hardware. To install mixer devices go to control panel, etc……” When I go there, it shows US-800 as functioning properly.

Phil please don't tell me that you don't have a clue... that's my line!

Bluzmaster: Yes, I normally on see the two options: Windows Record Mixer or Microphone. From the sounds of the error message, you may have a driver problem and no audio signal is making it to Golden Records. Don't trust Windows to be right about drivers. Go to the manufacturer's website and get the most recent appropriate driver for your Tascam and install it. That could well resolve your problem. I have attached a link: http://tascam.com/search/?q=Tascam+US-800+driver .

Let me know how you make out. Hope it fixes your problem. Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil