MP3 CDs

N_C_H_DS

I've received a few messages regarding MP3 CDs and Express Burn. There seems to be a little confusion over the topic, so I'm posting an update we made to the help files. This will be in the upcoming release, but in the meantime:

An MP3 CD is simply a data disc which contains .mp3 (or possibly .wma and .ogg) files which can be read and played by a standard CD or DVD player. The main benefit to creating an MP3 CD over a conventional Audio CD is that .mp3 files are highly compressed, so more songs are able to be burned to the disc. In contrast, if .mp3 files are used to create an Audio CD (a CD type that records only uncompressed .wav files, meaning your .mp3s will be converted), the 74 or 80 minute play time of the disc limits the number of songs that can be stored.

To create an MP3 CD, select the "CD Data" disc type in the toolbar and then add .mp3 files to the file list. Burn the disc as normal. The disc can now be played in any player that supports MP3 CDs.

Please Note:

There is no official standard for MP3 CDs. As such, playback may vary from player to player and can lead to imcompabilities and difficulty in playing discs. The following suggestions can help eliminate some problems:

* Limit the .mp3 filename to under 40 characters

* Do not place .mp3 files in sub folders

* Do not use special characters (i.e. UNICODE) in .mp3 filenames

Also note that some players, especially older ones, do not support playback of MP3 discs. Check with manufacturer documentation for more information.

• 8 months later...

I've received a few messages regarding MP3 CDs and Express Burn. There seems to be a little confusion over the topic, so I'm posting an update we made to the help files. This will be in the upcoming release, but in the meantime:

An MP3 CD is simply a data disc which contains .mp3 (or possibly .wma and .ogg) files which can be read and played by a standard CD or DVD player. The main benefit to creating an MP3 CD over a conventional Audio CD is that .mp3 files are highly compressed, so more songs are able to be burned to the disc. In contrast, if .mp3 files are used to create an Audio CD (a CD type that records only uncompressed .wav files, meaning your .mp3s will be converted), the 74 or 80 minute play time of the disc limits the number of songs that can be stored.

To create an MP3 CD, select the "CD Data" disc type in the toolbar and then add .mp3 files to the file list. Burn the disc as normal. The disc can now be played in any player that supports MP3 CDs.

Please Note:

There is no official standard for MP3 CDs. As such, playback may vary from player to player and can lead to imcompabilities and difficulty in playing discs. The following suggestions can help eliminate some problems:

* Limit the .mp3 filename to under 40 characters

* Do not place .mp3 files in sub folders

* Do not use special characters (i.e. UNICODE) in .mp3 filenames

Also note that some players, especially older ones, do not support playback of MP3 discs. Check with manufacturer documentation for more information.

Good news! We now have an MP3 Disc feature built directly into Express Burn. Just load any audio file and Burn will create an MP3 CD for you.