Basic Setup questions

loloaqic

I am running Vista. On a PC with an Intel Motherboard. There are three audio sockets, Blue, Green, and Pink. I am connecting Turntable to Computer (no Amplifier). I have tried the RCA to Stereo Jack in both the Blue and Pink sockets, but neither produce any signal. I have set the Noise floor low enough to allow GR to switch from "waiting for audio stream" to "recording". Trouble is the recording has no content.

In Windows Control Panel I have a Microphone (Pink), and Speakers (Green), but NO Line In (Blue).

In GR the Sound Record Device is set to "Microphone", so I'm assuming I should plug my RCA to Stereo Jack into the Microphone (Pink) socket.

However still sound is being recorded.

I have used default settings wherever possible.

Any suggestion?

I am running Vista. On a PC with an Intel Motherboard. There are three audio sockets, Blue, Green, and Pink. I am connecting Turntable to Computer (no Amplifier). I have tried the RCA to Stereo Jack in both the Blue and Pink sockets, but neither produce any signal. I have set the Noise floor low enough to allow GR to switch from "waiting for audio stream" to "recording". Trouble is the recording has no content.

In Windows Control Panel I have a Microphone (Pink), and Speakers (Green), but NO Line In (Blue).

In GR the Sound Record Device is set to "Microphone", so I'm assuming I should plug my RCA to Stereo Jack into the Microphone (Pink) socket.

However still sound is being recorded.

I have used default settings wherever possible.

Any suggestion?

Although Golden Records (GR) does provide the option of direct to turntable connections, a lot of turntables don't put out a strong enough signal to be captured by GR. I use a Behringer analog-to-digital converter device (you can google it - there are other makes as well). I have my turntable connected to an amplifier. I connect stereo cables to the TAPE OUT jacks of the amplifier, and the other ends to the Behringer device, which has a USB cable that connect to a USB port on your computer. The setup works flawlessly and I highly recommend it. I find it helps to connect everything BEFORE turning on your computer. Once your computer is booted, go to the Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, Manage Audio Devices, and set the Behringer as the default input. If your computer has a microphone array (a lot do for webcamming), click it and go to the Levels Tab, and mute it, so that the only sound that GR will get is from the Behringer device.

Hope this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil