Classic FTP upload trouble

johncsnider

Hi,

I have new new Mac and have just downloaded Classic FTP to help upload mp3 files to my website. As far as I can tell all my settings are correct; nonetheless, when I try to upload a file, it looks like it's making progress for a few minutes, then abruptly it says "Changing director...Unable to change to the directory..." and then it disconnects. What's weird is I already have it set to the directory I want to go to.

Any ideas what might be causing this problem?

Thanks,

John

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have new new Mac and have just downloaded Classic FTP to help upload mp3 files to my website. As far as I can tell all my settings are correct; nonetheless, when I try to upload a file, it looks like it's making progress for a few minutes, then abruptly it says "Changing director...Unable to change to the directory..." and then it disconnects. What's weird is I already have it set to the directory I want to go to.

Thanks,

John

also having exactly the same problem here uploading mp3 and other file types FWIW (as tests) to a host server. Connection is otherwise solid and i even have the ability to delete files from the same host folders. this is driving me quite mad!

John, have you tried another FTP client with the same host

• 2 months later...

I'm having a similar problem with a twist. When I connect, many of the filenames on the server are scrambled. I can refresh the list and get new random names. When I try to upload, the progress meter seems to get stuck, but when I refresh the server list, it appears they may have been uploaded after all, but names are either blank or scrambled ... sometimes with different file names mushed together. In short, I can't tell if the files were uploaded or not.

You know, it worked right while I was testing. But started to fail after I paid for the program. Odd.

also having exactly the same problem here uploading mp3 and other file types FWIW (as tests) to a host server. Connection is otherwise solid and i even have the ability to delete files from the same host folders. this is driving me quite mad!

John, have you tried another FTP client with the same host

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Thanks,

John

I have the same problem, however, it only started when I purchased the software. I had no problems when this was the trial version????

• 2 months later...

I had the same problem - the trial version worked well, then as soon as I bought the program, I got the same error - it would upload small files ok, but anything larger than 5MB it would time out partway into the upload, and give me the same "unable to change to the directory" message.

I've found a workaround - instead of using the upload button for a specific file, use the Synchronize button instead. It will duplicate the whole folder from your machine into the FTP folder, but at least it gets the file that you want in there. In the future I'll create a new folder with only the file I need to upload in it, then use the Synchronize button.

I have no idea why that should work instead of just uploading a single file, but I found this solution by chance and wanted to post it here. It's frustrating that there's no tech support on this forum, or support with the program - that's just sad. But hopefully this workaround will help a few of you.

Good luck.

Bill.

• 3 weeks later...

My experience is similar. prior to purchase it worked ok. Now when I try to upload a folder it only uploads half of the files. It seems to load all of the sub-dirs but leaves out some of the files from each dir. I tried the "sync" option but even though it was missing large numbers of files on the remote site it downloaded files rather than uploaded. Infuriating! This thing is dead in the water at this point if I can't even upload a dir. That's so basic. WTF?

Anyone have any suggestions on a workaround?

Al

• 2 weeks later...

My experience is similar. prior to purchase it worked ok. Now when I try to upload a folder it only uploads half of the files. It seems to load all of the sub-dirs but leaves out some of the files from each dir. I tried the "sync" option but even though it was missing large numbers of files on the remote site it downloaded files rather than uploaded. Infuriating! This thing is dead in the water at this point if I can't even upload a dir. That's so basic. WTF?

Anyone have any suggestions on a workaround?

Al

Exactly my experience as well. When I look back through this Forum, I can see several other posts and threads, under other headings, reporting essentially the same failing.

Why is no one from NCH taking any notice of this FUNDAMENTAL flaw. If an FTP utility can't transfer files from a desktop to a server, it is, to put not too fine a point on it, a waste of time. Reaction please, NCH, or do you want your users going elsewhere. Rather easy in these days of social media etc to put the word about that your product is rubbish, and that you provide no support, not even to the extent of commenting on posts in your own forums. Surprised that no one has started doing that yet.

Exactly my experience as well. When I look back through this Forum, I can see several other posts and threads, under other headings, reporting essentially the same failing.

Why is no one from NCH taking any notice of this FUNDAMENTAL flaw. If an FTP utility can't transfer files from a desktop to a server, it is, to put not too fine a point on it, a waste of time. Reaction please, NCH, or do you want your users going elsewhere. Rather easy in these days of social media etc to put the word about that your product is rubbish, and that you provide no support, not even to the extent of commenting on posts in your own forums. Surprised that no one has started doing that yet.

Issues like this are best dealt with through our technical support: http://www.nch.com.au/support/index.html

A ticket can be entered for no charge.

Actually I have already submitted a ticket some time ago and have not heard a thing back. The forum sticky says that it is a place to ask questions about Classic FTP. It appears to me that the posts are doing just that. I know my own ended with asking for suggestions or explanations to what appears to be a serious flaw in this software. I fail to see how that is misuse of the forum. If you represent the software creator it might be a more productive approach to help us in problem solving.

At this point I would like a refund. I have tried sending in a ticket and gotten no response. The software is not functioning as advertised. Can you please let me know how I can get a refund?

Thanks

• 2 months later...

I have the same thing happening, more closely to "billS". Just submitted a ticket via their tech support and will keep anyone updated if I find something out.

One note: After trying and trying to upload to my website I submitted a ticket via their side thinking that they capped my file size or something. Their tech support tried to upload several files of different size, with no problem. He suggested I try a different FTP software, which I did and then everything uploaded fine. Sooooo, just waiting on the tech support here to see if they can point me in the right direction for a fix. My computer is an iMac using their latest OS - Lion.

• 10 months later...