Time Stampiing Using Express Scribe

danpetitpas

I needed to insert timestamps into various interviews we transcribe, so I Googled this topic and came up with a wide variety of people trying to write Word macros and various work-arounds (such as typing CRTL+T, ALT+TAB, CTRL+V, ALT+TAB, etc.) to insert time stamps.

However, I found the easiest way was already built into Express Scribe.

To insert timestamps into a Word document, in Express Scribe go to Settings, then select Pedals and Hot Keys. Click Add at the bottom of the box to create a System-wide Hot Key. A Window pops up asking you to press a key. In my version of Express Scribe F1 and F11 are free. I chose F1. Then a Select Command box pops up. Scroll down to Copy Time and select this.

Now, as you play the audio file in Express Scribe, all you have to do is press your Hot Key (F1 for me) at the point where you hear the word you want to time stamp, and then CTRL V to paste it in Word.

Bingo. Two keystrokes and you're pasting timestamps! And it's a system-wide hot key, so you can insert timestamps into anything.

• 4 weeks later...

I needed to insert timestamps into various interviews we transcribe, so I Googled this topic and came up with a wide variety of people trying to write Word macros and various work-arounds (such as typing CRTL+T, ALT+TAB, CTRL+V, ALT+TAB, etc.) to insert time stamps.

To insert timestamps into a Word document, in Express Scribe go to Settings, then select Pedals and Hot Keys. Click Add at the bottom of the box to create a System-wide Hot Key. A Window pops up asking you to press a key. In my version of Express Scribe F1 and F11 are free. I chose F1. Then a Select Command box pops up. Scroll down to Copy Time and select this.

Now, as you play the audio file in Express Scribe, all you have to do is press your Hot Key (F1 for me) at the point where you hear the word you want to time stamp, and then CTRL V to paste it in Word.

Bingo. Two keystrokes and you're pasting timestamps! And it's a system-wide hot key, so you can insert timestamps into anything.

I tried your suggestion but my Hot Keys are not working. I always use my foot pedal, although in the past i've played around with the Hot Keys. But they will not work any more. Do you use your Hot Keys exclusively or is it a combination of Hot Keys and foot pedal? I could really use that time stamp feature as I have some clients who want that and it can really slow one down.

• 1 year later...

Thank you for posting this, I see it was quite a while ago but if you see this, I'm hoping maybe you have or know of a way to change the timing on it. I did get it to work but I need to find a way to recalibrate my time stamp time. I type out radio segments and I have to time stamp for the time that they are on the air, not start with zero. I need to find a way to calibrate the time and set it to the right time, from when the actual radio show starts...hum...any suggestions?

• 2 months later...

Thank you for posting this, I see it was quite a while ago but if you see this, I'm hoping maybe you have or know of a way to change the timing on it. I did get it to work but I need to find a way to recalibrate my time stamp time. I type out radio segments and I have to time stamp for the time that they are on the air, not start with zero. I need to find a way to calibrate the time and set it to the right time, from when the actual radio show starts...hum...any suggestions?

Please check this thread

Insert express scribe time stamp using word macro

• 5 weeks later...

Thank you very much. I never did find an "Options" but under Preferences I clicked Hot Key tab and followed your directions. What others had failed to include in their suggestions was the "two key stroke" direction! Hit Hot Key and then hit Command V.

thank you,

You made my day!

Marfa PhD

• 11 months later...

• 6 months later...

Actually, this can be made to only one keystroke combination if you are an AutoHotKey user. AutoHotkey allows you to set up macros that combine two or more keystrokes into one script file which is really easy to write. See http://www.autohotkey.com/ for details on this handy little app.

Anyhow, here is the script I use to make the Ctrl+Esc key combo fetch *and* paste the timecode into any document I am working in (unlike a Word macro, this script is not limited to Word but can work in any app):

---------------------------------

^Esc:: ; Get the time from Express Scribe and paste it to the cursor

Send ^+t

Sleep 500 ; Allow the fetch process a moment to work before pasting into document

Send ^v

return

---------------------------------

In this script, I have the time fetch hotkey in Scribe set up to be Ctrl+Shift+t, but you can change it to whatever you want.

• 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Actually it is working, but you have you to do a CTRL V after you press your hot-key.

I had the same issue but after reading this forum, I tried it and it finally worked. I had set up a system-wide hot key in Express Scribe to have F2 be my Copy Time hotkey. When I use my Word 2013 and I press F2 and then CTRL V, the time appears.

• 3 years later...

I appreciate your help on the time stamps in general.  However, I have another question if anyone could  help me out.  I have a transcript that requires a time stamp every 10 seconds.  I have heard people say you can set it at whatever interval you want, 10, 20, 30 seconds, whatever.  But I haven't heard any explanation of how you do that in Express Scribe.  Is there a way to get it to go through and insert the time stamp every 10 seconds other than hitting the hot key and pasting it every 10 seconds yourself?   Thank you for any help you can give me on this!

• 1 year later...