reading back/log file/two tracks in Express scribe

gabridash

Hello! I am using the MSRS in the 30-day trial period to see if it makes sense to purchase the software and use it in my verbatim reporting business. The program looks great, but I have some key questions:

1. I am not getting the log file. I changed the log file to a local file, as I did with the recordings and the backup. I have files in the recordings and backup files, but no logs???>

2. How do you suggest we read back. I have tried to keep recording and bring up the play screen and find the timing on the recording, but the recording time is so long (73 hours or something) that when I go to move the scroll bar at the bottom, any movement makes the recording go back and forth in hours, not seconds. Can you read back and still record?

3. I am still playing around with the record files to determine which setting allows Auto scribe to hear and replay both the stereo files for transcription. Do you have any suggestions? Is the DCT setting the only one that will allow me to hear both lines of recording and allow me to flip back and forth between them while transcribing?

Please let me know!

Sharon

I changed the log file to a local file, as I did with the recordings and the backup. I have files in the recordings and backup files, but no logs???>

I'm not sure what you mean here, as the log folder is already set to a local folder by default.

I have tried to keep recording and bring up the play screen and find the timing on the recording, but the recording time is so long (73 hours or something) that when I go to move the scroll bar at the bottom, any movement makes the recording go back and forth in hours, not seconds.

Did you really get a 73 hour recording? In Options -> Files there is a "Break recording into files of length" option, which defaults to 20 minutes, I think.

Is the DCT setting the only one that will allow me to hear both lines of recording and allow me to flip back and forth between them while transcribing?

MP3 and WAV hold one or two channels, DCT holds up to 32. Using Express Scribe you can change the volume or mute any of those channels independently.

I'm not sure what you mean here, as the log folder is already set to a local folder by default.

Did you really get a 73 hour recording? In Options -> Files there is a "Break recording into files of length" option, which defaults to 20 minutes, I think.

MP3 and WAV hold one or two channels, DCT holds up to 32. Using Express Scribe you can change the volume or mute any of those channels independently.

I have renamed the default location to a location on my C drive. I did this for the recordings, the backup and the logs. When I open the newly renamed files for recording, for example, my recordings are all there. When I open the newly renamed file for the backups, my files are all there. when I open the folder for the logs, I have nothing. Why??? When is a log created and saved? There is no notation on the black margin words (white words on black background at the left side of the screen) that a log was created like there is for the backup notation. Why am I not getting a log file?

When I am in record mode, if I keep recording and pull up the play screen, the duration column shows 73:.:.. I am assuming that this means that there are 73 hours available on the system. That's fine, but when I go to find the read back place, the scroll moves the recording too fast. If I stop the recording and then go to the play screen, the time of the recording shows in the duration column, and the scroll is scrolling only that time, so it's much easier to find the place in the recording in order to read back the record. But then there is no record of the read back...

So...is there another way to read back?

When the system backs up, it only saves one file. Is there a way to automatically back up both tracks?

We don't seem to be able to hear both tracks in Express Scribe. What do we need to do to hear both tracks in Express Scribe?

Thanks! Sharon

when I open the folder for the logs, I have nothing.

I think you've found a bug. Please report it using Help -> "Send Bug Report".

There is no notation on the black margin words (white words on black background at the left side of the screen) that a log was created like there is for the backup notation.

The contents of the log file should be the same as the contents of the log window.

When I am in record mode, if I keep recording and pull up the play screen, the duration column shows 73:.:..

It seems the recording duration is being read incorrectly while the recording is in progress. Please report this as a bug too.

When the system backs up, it only saves one file. Is there a way to automatically back up both tracks?

We don't seem to be able to hear both tracks in Express Scribe. What do we need to do to hear both tracks in Express Scribe?

MSRS stores the recordings as one WAV file per channel. To create a multi-channel DCT for Express Scribe: in Options -> Files, make sure you have selected DCT (Full multi-channel), then in Options -> Send, configure how you want to get the recording from MSRS to Scribe. (Probably "File Copy" if MSRS and Scribe are on the same PC or LAN.) When you finish recording, the DCT file will now be automatically sent to that location.

Hello! I am using the MSRS in the 30-day trial period to see if it makes sense to purchase the software and use it in my verbatim reporting business. The program looks great, but I have some key questions:

1. I am not getting the log file. I changed the log file to a local file, as I did with the recordings and the backup. I have files in the recordings and backup files, but no logs???>

2. How do you suggest we read back. I have tried to keep recording and bring up the play screen and find the timing on the recording, but the recording time is so long (73 hours or something) that when I go to move the scroll bar at the bottom, any movement makes the recording go back and forth in hours, not seconds. Can you read back and still record?

3. I am still playing around with the record files to determine which setting allows Auto scribe to hear and replay both the stereo files for transcription. Do you have any suggestions? Is the DCT setting the only one that will allow me to hear both lines of recording and allow me to flip back and forth between them while transcribing?

Please let me know!

Sharon

Sharon,

Hello,

Just wanted to respond to you on the MSRS. I purchased this software back in June and due to the fact that I have a new baby have not used it much yet but hope and pray it will work for me! I am a newly cetified court reporter in the state of Missouri, (voice writing) and hope to be able to use the msrs software to start out then eventually use a CAT system. I am finally starting to work with it and would love to stay in touch with you because I have found in the past it seems a lot of this is learning it hands on and on your own yikes! Unfortunately right now I probably will not be of much help to you but will be getting very serious working on the software now and its functions so please do not hesitate to contact me with anything. If I can help I would be glad to.

Please let me know!

Sharon

Sharon,

I also wanted to add I am too concerned about doing readbacks, I was under the impression this software would have "hot keys" and would be easy to differentiate speakers, witness, judge, etc., I see you can add bookmarks/ notes and timestamps but not sure how that will work for me either. If I figure it out I will let you know!

I also wanted to add I am too concerned about doing readbacks, I was under the impression this software would have "hot keys" and would be easy to differentiate speakers, witness, judge, etc., I see you can add bookmarks/ notes and timestamps but not sure how that will work for me either.

MSRS is primarily a recording application. For playback and / or transcription, Express Scribe has hot-key / foot pedal control, jumping to bookmarks, muting channels, etc.