MOST crucial decision - please please help me...!!

MOST crucial decision - please please help me...!!!!!!!!!

please please read the whole post....please have patience....

WHAT I WANT:

To be able to record lectures delivered by my professor so that I can later on listen it while commuting and also make notes.

WHY I WANT:

Because our professor delivers lecture at a very very rapid pace and although it is great listening him and understanding his concepts...its so so fast that its impossible to write or make note of anything...

This creates problem because although I am able to understand everything while he teaches BUT later on I forget everything as I am unable to make any notes.

The net result is I am where I was when the classes started.

WHAT I AM THINKING:

I gave a thought to my problem very deeply and discussed with some people and the only solution that appears is TO RECORD THE ENTIRE LECTURE DAILY....so that I can make notes from it later on at my ease...

WHAT ARE THE OPTIONS:

After doing a very thorough and deep analysis on net and gathering as much information as was possible for me...I concluded that I am having the following options:

A. To record the lectures using Apple iPod along with either griffin italk or belkin voice recorder.

OR

B. To record the lectures using Nokia mobile handset using its inbuilt microphone (or attaching some external microphone)

OR

C. To record the lectures using dedicated digital voice recorders such as Olympus DM-10 and DM-20, or say Panasonic RR-US006.

OR

D. To record the lectures using a laptop which is having inbuilt microphone or attaching the laptop with external microphone.

OR

E. To record the lectures using flash based MP3 player like those of transcend etc.

OR

F. To use dictaphone (I have never before even heard that term)

WHY I AM CONFUSED:

Because

1. I do not own personally any of the devices in all options referred above and therefore unable to make a choice which one suits my needs best

AND

2. Dont know which one would be MOST suitable for purpose of recording class lectures from a reasonable distance (say 5-10 feets away) for 3-4 hours lectures.

AND

3. Dont know which device would be MOST reliable and durable

AND

4. Dont know which one provides Best Value for Money as there are extra benefits associated with each device and extra costs too.

EXAMPLE:

I have heard that

# Griffin italk or Belkin Voice recorder at times may NOT record properly always (I have just heard NOT at all sure)

# Again Apple Ipod which allows extra voice recording functionality is NOT mini or shuffle so Again I dont know whether its better to have Nokia Mobile which has so many extra features as well and would cost less than Apple ipod.

# Again if Nokia Mobile is to be purchased which particular model suits my needs best.

# Or is it that dedicated digital voice recorders are best as they have one single function of digital voice recording.

And so on........................

BOTTOM LINE:

There are so so many variables involved that I am really unable to decide. This is further complicated by the fact that I have never used such gadgets and NOt sure.

PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE..........................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My budget is very very flexible (which means that I am ready to spend upto Indian Rs 50000 which is roughly USD $ 1000, if required).

The single most imporatnt reason I am intending to buy such a gadget is to record the class lectures daily which are normally of 3-4 hours duration and the professor and my sitting distance varies from 1 feet to 10 feets.

If i get extra features Its welcome BUT this digital voice recording feature is something which I do NOT want to be compromised.

Please suggest me out of A, B, C, D OR E what should be my ideal choice and what costs i would incur. If possible please specify the exact product number or detail or specification.

I Know I have written a very very long story and it must have tested your patience and consumed a lot of your valuable time. I genuinely and most sincerely appreciate your time and effort with me from the bottom of my heart and trust me I am really in serious trouble or else would NOT have written such a long story.

I am very anxiously awaiting the words of wisdom and valuable advice from more knowledgebale and experienced (and most importantly helpful) members here.

I am sure that someone here will be able to help me out with his advice and suggestions.

Again I express my deepest sincerest appreciation and gratitude for reading this post and possibly replying.

Please reply in detail and advice to your best as your decision may be very very crucial and infact the whole basis on which I am going to make the purchase. So please be concerned and kind.

Thanks and best of regards

Most sincerely

Sunando Ghosh

Kolkata, India

sunandoghosh (at) rediffmail (dot) com

P.s. If u wish to add anything which i might have missed or suggest differently please feel free to do so.

Guest Wizardo

Hey buddy,

No need to worry about, I would recommend Olympus recorder for this situation, if you can work with 2hr:35m of dictation in one session/one day, go for an olympus DS-330 recorder (around US$110). But if you expect more than this then DS-2300 (US$300) would be a good choice, here are few things you need to take care of with these though:

1. NEVER use LP mode (which gives you more recording time on the recorder) because that deteriorates the audio quality a bit.

2. with DS-2300 buy a card bigger than 16MB, because 16MB provides recording capacity of 2:35 in standard mode which is equivalent to DS-330 (Why buy a 2300 if your recording=DS330?).

3. These recorders have 2 modes, Dictation, and Conference, lectures can be recorded using conference mode, but try dictation first and see how it works, dictaiton's quality is good. Conference adds some noise as it is more sensitive.

4. Try using your recorder with different settings before lecture starts and listen to it, chose a setting which works best for your environment.

Wizardo

pcgoat007@netscape.net

I have just gotten a Panasonic RR-US360 digital voice recorder, and am very happy with it. Got it thru amazon.com for about $50 US, which was about the best deal I could find. Even at the highest record quality, it has, I think, 2-3 hours recording time, and something like 8 or 9 hours at the lower quality level. And you can download your recordings to your computer via USB cable that comes with it.

My only problem so far is that I'd like to be able to edit the soundfiles in Wavepad, but I think the file format is proprietary. But I haven't had time to go thru the ops manual yet, it's probably doable. And the recorder comes with some software of its own.

If you're willing to spend so much money, you can probably get something much much better than what I have, but I think you can get what you need fairly cheaply.

• 3 months later...
Guest Guest_david_*
MOST crucial decision - please please help me...!!!!!!!!!

please please read the whole post....please have patience....

WHAT I WANT:

To be able to record lectures delivered by my professor so that I can later on listen it while commuting and also make notes.

WHY I WANT:

Because our professor delivers lecture at a very very rapid pace and although it is great listening him and understanding his concepts...its so so fast that its impossible to write or make note of anything...

This creates problem because although I am able to understand everything while he teaches BUT later on I forget everything as I am unable to make any notes.

The net result is I am where I was when the classes started.

WHAT I AM THINKING:

I gave a thought to my problem very deeply and discussed with some people and the only solution that appears is TO RECORD THE ENTIRE LECTURE DAILY....so that I can make notes from it later on at my ease...

WHAT ARE THE OPTIONS:

After doing a very thorough and deep analysis on net and gathering as much information as was possible for me...I concluded that I am having the following options:

A. To record the lectures using Apple iPod along with either griffin italk or belkin voice recorder.

OR

B. To record the lectures using Nokia mobile handset using its inbuilt microphone (or attaching some external microphone)

OR

C. To record the lectures using dedicated digital voice recorders such as Olympus DM-10 and DM-20, or say Panasonic RR-US006.

OR

D. To record the lectures using a laptop which is having inbuilt microphone or attaching the laptop with external microphone.

OR

E. To record the lectures using flash based MP3 player like those of transcend etc.

OR

F. To use dictaphone (I have never before even heard that term)

WHY I AM CONFUSED:

Because

1. I do not own personally any of the devices in all options referred above and therefore unable to make a choice which one suits my needs best

AND

2. Dont know which one would be MOST suitable for purpose of recording class lectures from a reasonable distance (say 5-10 feets away) for 3-4 hours lectures.

AND

3. Dont know which device would be MOST reliable and durable

AND

4. Dont know which one provides Best Value for Money as there are extra benefits associated with each device and extra costs too.

EXAMPLE:

I have heard that

# Griffin italk or Belkin Voice recorder at times may NOT record properly always (I have just heard NOT at all sure)

# Again Apple Ipod which allows extra voice recording functionality is NOT mini or shuffle so Again I dont know whether its better to have Nokia Mobile which has so many extra features as well and would cost less than Apple ipod.

# Again if Nokia Mobile is to be purchased which particular model suits my needs best.

# Or is it that dedicated digital voice recorders are best as they have one single function of digital voice recording.

And so on........................

BOTTOM LINE:

There are so so many variables involved that I am really unable to decide. This is further complicated by the fact that I have never used such gadgets and NOt sure.

My budget is very very flexible (which means that I am ready to spend upto Indian Rs 50000 which is roughly USD $ 1000, if required).

The single most imporatnt reason I am intending to buy such a gadget is to record the class lectures daily which are normally of 3-4 hours duration and the professor and my sitting distance varies from 1 feet to 10 feets.

If i get extra features Its welcome BUT this digital voice recording feature is something which I do NOT want to be compromised.

Please suggest me out of A, B, C, D OR E what should be my ideal choice and what costs i would incur. If possible please specify the exact product number or detail or specification.

I Know I have written a very very long story and it must have tested your patience and consumed a lot of your valuable time. I genuinely and most sincerely appreciate your time and effort with me from the bottom of my heart and trust me I am really in serious trouble or else would NOT have written such a long story.

I am very anxiously awaiting the words of wisdom and valuable advice from more knowledgebale and experienced (and most importantly helpful) members here.

I am sure that someone here will be able to help me out with his advice and suggestions.

Again I express my deepest sincerest appreciation and gratitude for reading this post and possibly replying.

Please reply in detail and advice to your best as your decision may be very very crucial and infact the whole basis on which I am going to make the purchase. So please be concerned and kind.

Thanks and best of regards

Most sincerely

Sunando Ghosh

Kolkata, India

sunandoghosh (at) rediffmail (dot) com

P.s. If u wish to add anything which i might have missed or suggest differently please feel free to do so.

I have an Olympus DS-2. It records in DSS during LP and SP modes. In Mono and Stereo mode it records in wma. Surprised? Me too. Nevertheless, iTunes will convert DSS and WMA files to its m4a format. Works good. I can put an entire semester of lectures on my ipod. Moreover, thanks to NCH and Wavpad, I can edit out the silence and some unwanted sounds. When time permits. I now can listen to any lecture, anytime day or night.

I have heard that ipods are not recommended for recording lectures

• 1 month later...
I think a minidisc (hi-md) would be the best format for these... try the new Sony type.. records at least 8 hrs on 1GB discs.. for info check here:

http://www.minidisc.org/

jes tryin' to help..

mike

The Olympus DS-330 and DS-660 are no longer available - ANYWHERE - except maybe Ebay. They are no longer making these recorders.

• 11 years later...