Codec challenge

dennnisf878

Hello,

I've downloaded the free version of Express CD Burn, and thought I'd give it a try. I followed the directions for selecting files to burn, but, an error message to the effect "xxx.wma cannot be opened as an audio file. Either you are missing an audio codec on your system or the file is of a type unsupported by Express Burn." Now here's the thing, I selected "WMA" as a file type in the initial process, and still got the same error message. At that point, I was about ready to delete the software from my computer, BUT, I tried creating a "data" disk, and darn, it worked flawlessly, and created a CD very quickly after I selected the individual files. What am I missing here, or is this a quirk of the software?

In advance, thanks for any constructive observations, or suggestions.

Dennis

Guest N.C.H a.n
Hello,

I've downloaded the free version of Express CD Burn, and thought I'd give it a try. I followed the directions for selecting files to burn, but, an error message to the effect "xxx.wma cannot be opened as an audio file. Either you are missing an audio codec on your system or the file is of a type unsupported by Express Burn." Now here's the thing, I selected "WMA" as a file type in the initial process, and still got the same error message. At that point, I was about ready to delete the software from my computer, BUT, I tried creating a "data" disk, and darn, it worked flawlessly, and created a CD very quickly after I selected the individual files. What am I missing here, or is this a quirk of the software?

In advance, thanks for any constructive observations, or suggestions.

Dennis

Hi,

is the .wma file protected using drm from media player? (digital Rights Management)

As this could cause Express Burn to give that error. By default, media player is set to use this feature. (depending on which version you are using)

I would suggest that you download switch from http://www.nch.com.au/switch/index.html and use it to try and convert the .wma files to .mp3, and then use burn to burn the .mp3 files to an audio cd.

If the the .wma files are protected using drm, then the conversion with switch will most likely fail too.

Please let me know either way what the outcome is so that I can try to help you further.

Thankyou

Hi,

is the .wma file protected using drm from media player? (digital Rights Management)

As this could cause Express Burn to give that error. By default, media player is set to use this feature. (depending on which version you are using)

I would suggest that you download switch from http://www.nch.com.au/switch/index.html and use it to try and convert the .wma files to .mp3, and then use burn to burn the .mp3 files to an audio cd.

If the the .wma files are protected using drm, then the conversion with switch will most likely fail too.

Please let me know either way what the outcome is so that I can try to help you further.

Thankyou

Thank you for your kind help. I'm thinking that the file(s) are using drm. I tried to convert them, but, wasn't terribly successful. I tried using Windows' vile conversion as well on these particular files, and got an odd message - " Windows Audio Converter could not write all metadata from the source file to the destination file." Nonetheless, your software DOES copy and transfer other music files very quickly end efficiently to blank CDs. I'll keep experimenting with it, and once comfortable, will likely upgrade to the full version. Thank you again.

Guest N.C.H a.n
Thank you for your kind help. I'm thinking that the file(s) are using drm. I tried to convert them, but, wasn't terribly successful. I tried using Windows' vile conversion as well on these particular files, and got an odd message - " Windows Audio Converter could not write all metadata from the source file to the destination file." Nonetheless, your software DOES copy and transfer other music files very quickly end efficiently to blank CDs. I'll keep experimenting with it, and once comfortable, will likely upgrade to the full version. Thank you again.

Hi,

All good.

It might be worth you checking the settings in media player then.

Click Tools -> options -> rip tab.

Here there should be some options about what format to rip the files in. I would use MP3.

And there should be an option about copy protecting music. Turn this option off and then this problem won't happen again. (only with new files that you rip though)

Any current files already ripped with DRM will still contain it.

Thankyou