Wheres my complete avi file

Pwohlrab

Good day everyone

I am converting VHS tapes to DVD. At least attempting to. This has turned into a major project. The avi file was captured on a Vista ultimate 64 computer (my sons because he he running dual core and 8gb ram).

The capture program used was Debut. The device used was a Pinnacle usb model 510. (The Pinnacle software version 10.8 would not work nor there version 12 to capture the video).

The file was then brought to my computer for editing. (my son does not live with me). My computer is XP pro with 1.5g processor and 1.5gb ram.

The original file is 4.86 gb. We have also broken that file into approx 1gb files for easy use if needed.

I can view the original in Media player classic (after installing the FMP4 codec).

The problem I have is as follows.

If I start a new project and then "add video file", (using the 4.86gb avi file), the length of the video file is only about 24 to 26 minutes.

If I use the avi files that I split to approx 1gb, those files showing are about 24 minutes in length, but seem to be complete.

I can edit them and put them on the timeline (sequence), I can only do 1 split avi file at a time. In other words, I add the edited clips, then work on the next split avi file and then add those clips to the sequence.

EDIT: I think I found the answer to the split files. You have to add them to the sequence in reverse order. (last clip going towards first clip edited)

Hello!

I saw your edit, but I may have a suggestion for you as well, if you go to options, you will see a place where you can 'Place your output file'. For now, until you get familiar with the program, I suggest you create a folder on your desktop, and call it VideoPad. Have the output set to this folder on the desktop, and then make new folders for each new project. It's kinda like filing folders for each time you are doing the editing. That way when you need to come back to it, you will easily see what has been done and if was done correctly. Fast and easy.

Hope this helps!

~JG

Thanks for getting back to me, but thats not the problem. I do have folders set up to separate out all the files. I have a folder for the original "full" avi file. Also a folder for my original 1gb split avi files, a folder for the project, and a folder for the final build.

Its difficult to explain, but I will try again.

When I start the project, I would like to use the full avi file that is 4.86gb. I go to file/ add video file and click on the file. Video pad brings the file in, BUT it is only about 25 minutes long. This file is 2 hr and 12 min.

Why can't I see, and use the entire file?

Thanks for getting back to me, but thats not the problem. I do have folders set up to separate out all the files. I have a folder for the original "full" avi file. Also a folder for my original 1gb split avi files, a folder for the project, and a folder for the final build.

Its difficult to explain, but I will try again.

When I start the project, I would like to use the full avi file that is 4.86gb. I go to file/ add video file and click on the file. Video pad brings the file in, BUT it is only about 25 minutes long. This file is 2 hr and 12 min.

Why can't I see, and use the entire file?

coud sound like you ar having your files on fat32 system i has a barrier at 2gb the solution is to convert i to NTFS.