26000 hz and ear damge

Thermax

I'm trying to help people with tinnitus by making up masking CD's to mask the sound of their tinnitus. I'm working with a tone Generator to help find the frequency of their tinnitus. My question is this, when I'm listening to high frequency tones like 26000HZ can that hurt my ears ? The only info I can find on the web is all related to high volume levels. How would I know when 26000 HZ is to load to be safe? Thank you

• 1 year later...

Thats a very interesting project.

I personally suffer from tinnitus, and have had it for many years now after having played guitar in a rock band in my younger days.

Are you trying to duplicate the frequency heard by the sufferer or masking it with a frequency out of hearing range?

White noise is supposed to have some effect as it contains a broad spectrum of frequencies.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Thats a very interesting project.

I personally suffer from tinnitus, and have had it for many years now after having played guitar in a rock band in my younger days.

Are you trying to duplicate the frequency heard by the sufferer or masking it with a frequency out of hearing range?

White noise is supposed to have some effect as it contains a broad spectrum of frequencies.

Not the original poster, but I've heard of reports which indicate that longterm exposure to an external sound source with the same frequency as the tone the tinitus sufferer 'hears' can provide some relief.

• 4 years later...

I'm trying to help people with tinnitus by making up masking CD's to mask the sound of their tinnitus. I'm working with a tone Generator to help find the frequency of their tinnitus. My question is this, when I'm listening to high frequency tones like 26000HZ can that hurt my ears ? The only info I can find on the web is all related to high volume levels. How would I know when 26000 HZ is to load to be safe? Thank you

How are you generating 26,000 Hz tones?

NCH Tone Generator only does 44,100 samples per second at 16bits if you are doing CD-Quality stuff, up to 192,000 samples per second but still at only 16 bits, which doesn't make sense when 96 kHz and 192 kHz sample rates are generally found in Nature at 24-bit sample bit depth.

Anyways, what are you generating 26,000 Hz tones with what bit rate and sample bit depth etc. and what equipment do you have getting the tones in the PC sound card out to the patient?

The kind of tinnitus I have is all like crackling bones not so much frequency loss, how can your set-up help me? In headphones it sounds one way but in dead air a totally different way. weird that