dSS File

it3fergie

Ok ive tried out express scribe version 4.05 and version 4.23 (or whatever the latest version is) We have a file that has been tried on 3 different computers and all three work fine but it still wont play on this girls computer. I have went to the link in other posts and got the dss32.exe file and it still doesnt fix it. Also we have tried the K-lite codec file and it doesnt work either. Also we cant convert the file to MP3 because it doesnt recognize the .dss file type either. Any other suggestions other than reinstalling windows?

• 1 month later...

Hello,

We are facing the same kind of problem with DSS files but using Express Dictate.

Nevertheless, it seems that the problem is the same : Express Scribe or Express Dictate won't decode the DSS file, even if the dss decoder dll is properly installed.

We have tried to get help from the support team, but did not get much... We are trying to gather users facing the same kind of problem in order to ask the NCH teams to take our problem in consideration...

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I also cannot get DSS files to play with Express Scribe on one computer -- the one that has Windows ME. The same DSS files play just fine on my Windows XP computer. The files display but won't load, they look like they have 00:00 duration.

Twice I have had a DSS file not load on my Windows XP computer. When that happened, I was able to use Philips Speech Exec Software (came with the recorder) to convert the file to a WAV file and Express Scribe was able to load and play the WAV file on the Windows XP computer. Unfortunately, the Windows ME computer cannot play that WAV file, it says it does not have the right codec. I have tried opening the WAV file with Windows Media Player, but it gives the error message "Class Not Registered."

Can I convert the DSS file to another format that CAN be read by Express Scribe on my Windows ME computer? If so, what software can accomplish this?

Or, is there a site that has the codec I need so the WAV file can be played in Express Scribe? During conversion from DSS to WAV, my only choice is "Philips CELP."

Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to play the files on my Windows ME computer? The ME computer is my little laptop and I would love to be able to make my work more "portable."

Thanks,

Lauren

Twice I have had a DSS file not load on my Windows XP computer. When that happened, I was able to use Philips Speech Exec Software (came with the recorder) to convert the file to a WAV file and Express Scribe was able to load and play the WAV file on the Windows XP computer. Unfortunately, the Windows ME computer cannot play that WAV file, it says it does not have the right codec.

Are you able to install the Philips software on the Windows ME computer? That may install the CELP codec for you, allowing you to open the converted WAV files in Scribe.

Are you able to install the Philips software on the Windows ME computer? That may install the CELP codec for you, allowing you to open the converted WAV files in Scribe.

I tried loading the Philips software onto the Windows ME computer thinking the same thing you did, that the software would also load the codec, but alas the Philips software won't install with ME. I spent the day downloading codecs from free-codecs.com onto the Win ME computer but nothing has worked so far. Thanks for the idea though. I am hopeful that a solution will be found for this!

Lauren

Hello again,

I found a solution for playing previously non-playable .DSS files on my Windows ME computer.

I followed the suggestions from "milkduds" in the post of 11/24/2008 titled "Express Scribe and .dss files - resolved??" Thank you milkduds!!!!

The short version is:

Load the .DSS file into a trial version of PowerPlayer, but don't actually play the file.

Tell PowerPlayer that you are done with the file by clicking "Typed."

PowerPlayer will convert the "Typed" file into a .Wav file that can be played by ES.

Step by Step:

Download the Trial Version of ECS PowerPlayer at

http://www.tvps.com/Products/ECS-PowerPlay...ew__ECS-PP.aspx

and install it.

Double Click to run PowerPlayer

Do this the first time you run Power Player:

Click "Set" (Settings)

In General, put a checkmark next to Typed Files.

Put a dot next to Move (so the Typed Files are moved).

If desired, select a Directory for the Typed Files to be moved to.

To convert a .DSS file to a .WAV file that can be played by Express Scribe:

From the PowerPlayer main screen, clck Open

Change File Types to "All Audio Types" so you can see the .DSS files

Select the file you want, click Open

Wait as the file is being "processed."

DO NOT PLAY THE FILE OR YOU WILL RESTRICT THE FILE TO ONLY 31 SECONDS OF PLAY

Click "Typed." This tells PowerPlayer that the file has been typed. The file will be renamed to temp.wav and be placed in the directory chosen above during the Settings process.

Express Scribe should be able to play the WAV file.

I hope this helps anyone who has been struggling to get certain .DSS files to play. Thank you milkduds for pointing me in this direction.

Lauren

• 5 months later...
Hello again,

I found a solution for playing previously non-playable .DSS files on my Windows ME computer.

I followed the suggestions from "milkduds" in the post of 11/24/2008 titled "Express Scribe and .dss files - resolved??" Thank you milkduds!!!!

The short version is:

Load the .DSS file into a trial version of PowerPlayer, but don't actually play the file.

Tell PowerPlayer that you are done with the file by clicking "Typed."

PowerPlayer will convert the "Typed" file into a .Wav file that can be played by ES.

Step by Step:

Download the Trial Version of ECS PowerPlayer at

http://www.tvps.com/Products/ECS-PowerPlay...ew__ECS-PP.aspx

and install it.

Double Click to run PowerPlayer

Do this the first time you run Power Player:

Click "Set" (Settings)

In General, put a checkmark next to Typed Files.

Put a dot next to Move (so the Typed Files are moved).

If desired, select a Directory for the Typed Files to be moved to.

To convert a .DSS file to a .WAV file that can be played by Express Scribe:

From the PowerPlayer main screen, clck Open

Change File Types to "All Audio Types" so you can see the .DSS files

Select the file you want, click Open

Wait as the file is being "processed."

DO NOT PLAY THE FILE OR YOU WILL RESTRICT THE FILE TO ONLY 31 SECONDS OF PLAY

Click "Typed." This tells PowerPlayer that the file has been typed. The file will be renamed to temp.wav and be placed in the directory chosen above during the Settings process.

Express Scribe should be able to play the WAV file.

I hope this helps anyone who has been struggling to get certain .DSS files to play. Thank you milkduds for pointing me in this direction.

Lauren

Thank you Lauren and milkduds. This worked for me as well. Does seem to be a bit cumbersome. Now must save files in folder and then open in Power Play and then open in Express Scribe rather than opening file as email attachment directly into Express Scribe. Anyone come up with fewer steps as yet?

• 11 years later...