Can I customize Play (with pausing)?

punstress

I just started using Express Scribe to transcribe some digital interviews. I like the idea of "play (with pausing)" because it plays in chunks, then stops, backs up a little, and keeps going, all without requiring me to do any commands.

I just would like to be able to customize how big of a chunk, at what speed, and how much it pauses and how far it backs up. So yeah pretty much everything. I only type about 65-70 wpm and I guess this was designed for a faster typist.

I submitted it as a feature request, but is there already a way to do it?

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I totally agree... it would be great if we can configure the play time (i.e. change it to 4 sec from 5 sec) and also the playing speed (currently you have to use the normal speed with play with pausing option)...

I just started using Express Scribe to transcribe some digital interviews. I like the idea of "play (with pausing)" because it plays in chunks, then stops, backs up a little, and keeps going, all without requiring me to do any commands.

I just would like to be able to customize how big of a chunk, at what speed, and how much it pauses and how far it backs up. So yeah pretty much everything. I only type about 65-70 wpm and I guess this was designed for a faster typist.

I submitted it as a feature request, but is there already a way to do it?

I totally agree... it would be great if we can configure the play time (i.e. change it to 4 sec from 5 sec) and also the playing speed (currently you have to use the normal speed with play with pausing option)...

Yes, this would be a VERY good feature! Its very useful to be able to pause and have the software backup the recording a second or two.

The free transcription software called "F4" has this ability (they call it "spooling interval"), and also the ability to automatically insert time stamps and line numbers. The problem with that software is that it is a big file, runs in JAVA and does not run natively in Linux or in WINE.

Express Scribe is better and would be MUCH better if it included this simple feature that allows configuring the amount of backup.

I hope the developers read this and release a new version quickly! :unsure:

• 7 years later...
  • 6 years later...